The Effects of Stopping Birth Control (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Contraception' started by Raunchy-Row, May 18, 2015.

1. Deirdre

Deirdre Member

I can't reply it won't let me

2. Pip02

Pip02 New Member

Hi Acowles xx I'm sorry you are going through such a hard time. I think many of us have been there! Deidre really wanted to message you but the site is playibg up for her!
    I first came off Depo provera in September 2015 because I had become an anxious emotional wreck on it. When I came off it was horrendous, I was dizzy, fatigued, brain fog, heartburn, nauseas, sick and major anxiety causing OCD thoughts. It was horrible I felt like I was going crazy. I did many things in my recovery to try and help or make myself get better faster.. somethings helped and others made me a million times worse. I went to a naturopath who gave me progestalift and other vitamins and they made me worse.. I went to therapy and they made me feel better telling me this was normal and I'd be okay. I was getting a lot better by February 2016, a lot of the nausea and dizzyness had past but I was still having trouble with my anxiety. I decided to go on progesterone cream, what a nightmare!! Coming off that was probably the worst experience in my life! I was sick, vomiting, felt like I was loosing my mind.. hysterical crying constantly!! Deidre also was made a lot worse by Macca root powder, that's why I think Deidre and I are still in recovery mode as these 'natural' products made us 10 times worse! So please do be careful when trying new things. The hard part is is that they probably work great for some people.. I also did a liver detox and that made me worse too.

I think it all just takes time, which is shit when you feel so bad. I've found that each month you get get a little tiny better. I think I would have been well recovered by now if I had not gone on the progesterone cream, Same for Deidre probably! Deidre and I have both started antidepressants, we both really didn't want too and tried our best to get through naturally.
    For me I think because of the progesterone cream it made the recovery so much longer and I just couldn't cope anymore. There have many many ladies on here who have got through naturally and many who have been on anti depressants and got better! It's hard to know what too do! We will all get through it no matter how we choose to do it. You have to believe that you will get better, read through all the posts on here i find it helped.
    I've been put on fluoxetine at 5mgs, starting really low and Deidre is on monipaxil I believe. We are both only in the early days of taking them.

All I know as there have been times where I felt like there was no way I was going to survive, I felt like I was the one who wouldn't make it.. but I'm still here and I'm okay. You will get through it, it takes time and persistence and strength xo but you can do it! Keep talking to us on here xx

3. acowles224

acowles224 New Member

Thank you for your sweet message and words of encouragement, I appreciate it very much!

My naturopath gave me progesterone cream, but I felt very sick the next day after using it last week and never picked it up again, for fear of going back to square one. I haven't been feeling well since. Not that's unusual, but it is certainly hard to get through the day when each day is started with feeling sick and awful!

So far, the supplements I have been taking/started taking are a Milk Thistle Liver Detox, Cal-Mag Citrate, Probiotic, Multivitamin, and Vitamin D. I have tons of ginger products and even bought sea sick bands for my wrists....I'm desperate!

4. Deirdre

Deirdre Member

Hi,
    I'm just wondering how everybody is doing? I've no update myself still trying to manage my anxiety. I hope others are seeing improvements which would give us all hope that there is light at the end of this.

5. Deirdre

Deirdre Member

Hi,
    I'm just wondering how everybody is doing? I've no update myself still trying to manage my anxiety. I hope others are seeing improvements which would give us all hope that there is light at the end of this.

6. NataliaD

NataliaD Member

Hi!
    Im relatively fine. I don't have major issues, mood is good, anxiety sonetimes come and go.
    Ovulation is hard, I have a mild nausea and anxiety.
    But I began to forget all this hell, thats a good sign.
    I have no libido at all and I feel less my feelings -I think than it is AD effects.
    I can say that I improved! So will improve all of you, ladies! Patience!

7. Babu

Babu New Member

I have never written anything on this forum but I remember how deeply thankful I was for this thread in my lowest days so I'm writing an update for anyone who might feel bad and need some light.

I woke up one day with the most horrible rocd in late 2014, and I thought my life with my boyfriend was over. We're still together today, two years later. I've suffered from anxiety my whole life and this was just making my anxiety worse. I both quit hormones and went to a psychologist after this, and I slowly started getting better. I've had a lot of relapses and still have to this day (not as severe) but I've learnt to separate the rocd-thoughts from my real thoughts so I am feeling so much better. I still to this day suffer from low libido but I'm not sure why, don't know if I'm still just denying the bad effects of hormones/quitting hormones or what. I'm still alive! It will get better for everyone, but it takes time and strenght. I believe in you all!

8. acowles224

acowles224 New Member

I wish more people used this site. I'm having the worst anxiety today, like I'm never going to get better because of how queasy and nauseous I feel most days.

On the 17th, it will have been 3 months since I've stopped the pill and I've had little relief. I get so scared that something else is wrong with me...

9. acowles224

acowles224 New Member

Wow we have such similar symptoms coming off the pill....how are you doing now? When did you stop the pill?

10. Mare23

Mare23 New Member

Its been 9 months off bc for me and Im strugling with anxiety/dep. I feel so anxious at home especially on the weekends I just want to cry. I finally decided to go see a psycologist so Ill post how it goes. I truly think the first 2-3 months were the worst but this is still frustrating. I have good even great days but when a bad one shows up its all down hill. This month the rollercoaster started with ovulation and its been two really bad weeks. Ladies please post. I have not seen anything since nov 10 and your posts do help feel not alone.

11. acowles224

acowles224 New Member

I'm getting close to month 4 off BC and yes I agree, the first 3 months have been the worst of my entire life...I also started seeing a counselor (only 2x so far) and it does help talking it out to an unbiased person...I unfortunately have been left with some kind of stomach issue after taking the pill...I have tried almost all traditional medicine tests and now am waiting to see if I'm allergic to any foods via a blood test from my naturopath I am also struggling with anxiety and depression, first time in my life, because I had to pull out of my 3rd year of college, move back to my parents house and my relationship isn't doing well because of everything happened when I got sick (yes all these things happened because how sick the pill made me). I thought "Oh once I stop the pill, within a few days I'll be feeling myself". So, so wrong...:(

12. Deirdre

Deirdre Member

Hi Everybody, I'm just back to update regarding my situation as Mare23 was looking for an update. I guess first off I'll say that every bodies experience is different. Mine is quite different to others-I don't know is that due to age, lifestyle, genetic make-up???
    Anyway, so I quit birth control in May 2015 and I didn't have proper periods until June this year!!! I had brown spotting for a year and in June this year I had my first bleed as such (tmi), and June this year was also when the extreme anxiety set in (I was having symptoms of anxiety for the first year but I was able to go about life and I was happy enough and working and everything-I had panic attacks too and tingling in hands etc but my mind wasn't too bad. But in June when I got my first bleed I woke up a different person. I don't want to go too into the symptoms because I know that I became worse reading other people's posts. Anyway, the extreme anxiety lasted about 2 -3 months and now I'm in a depressed stage with about 2 months, I've had every test under the sun because I also have a genetic condition that could cause similar symptoms that doctors wanted to rule issues out. I've had endoscopy,barium swallow test, heart stress test,MRI of head and spine, consultation with ENT, aonsultation with gynaecologist (consultation really only means they loook at me for 5 minutes and say your fine come back in x amount of months if you still don't feel good), I had chest x-rays and mumerous blood tests, and 2 hormone test and everything came back 'normal' except for small hernia and acid reflux but I knew about that before. So I too tried 2 SSRI's and I tried Xanax for the month of June 2016 at half a tablet a day.
    Anyway, it's been a long road and I was into psychiatrist again today looking for help. Today she suggested going back on the pill to see how I do as I seem to be getting worse each month rather better like others have-now this is just my body doing its thing so please don't think yours won't recover because yours is different. I'm going to add that I am 34 yes of age and that I think that I could quite possibly be in early peri menopause (don't think you are please but I think I may have had symptoms of peri menopause the year prior to coming off the pill as well) one of my sisters pointed this out that I had zapping under the skin sensations and crawling sensation on skin and dry skin about 3 years ago that lasted about 8-9 months. Anyway, since I haven't been improving I'm inclined to think I may be in peri...... I got a prescription for my old birth control today and I was told to take it ASAP not to wait till my period and I was given another low dose anxiety pill. Obviously I am scared to take either as my anxiety has centres around my health and I'm completely petttified to take any pills now which is so unlike me. But yesterday I was crying hysterically all morning and I asked to be brought to the hospital to be checked in because I felt I was getting worse (and yesterday was ovulation day!!! Surprise surprise). It's just amazing how hormones can be so debilitating. I too long for my carefree self. I know my aunts never had an issue with peri etc but they also never took the pill or any hormones.
    This has been a difficult time, I'm a single mom and right now my daughter is being looked after by family members for the last few days as I just couldn't. I too have lost 2 and a half stone in weight. I weigh about 50.5 in weigh (8 stone). My clothes hang off me now and I don't have any appetite.
    Like I said please don't read too much into my story because your body is very different to mine. I wasn't kind to my body like I should have been before stopping birth control. I will say is that psychiatrist do go looking for hidden stories from past etc to verify why you have anxiety and I will say that I have had 1-2 experiences in my distant past that they are grasping at but that I feel I was managing fine with and that I was living with ok before I stopped birth control. They were past experiences that only ever cropped up briefly once or twice a year. But they do like to open up your mind and pin it on these events and they really put everything down to anxiety. Also as soon as you mention anxiety in A&E etc you can see the doctors expression change and they automatically shut down from listening to you almost and they want you out of there (sad way but true) but I guess us hormonal anxiety ridden women have been clogging up their Departments a bit. I was in a few times and heard women of all ages saying 'I suffer anxiety' and most were menopausal age or peri age.
    Anyway, I'm gone off track with my response..... all I can say is please don't read too much into other people's experiences as it can make you experience it to. I was grateful to find this site at the start but I became obssessed with it....... just know what your going through is a hormonal imbalance-it happens to women after pregnancy, in peri menopause and menopause and I've seen accounts of women who quit breads feeding and went through anxiety and depression when they stopped as their hormones needed to balance out.
    So I'm absolutely terrified to start my birth control up again but I'm terrified not to as well so it sucks. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future. I'd love to know like say in 4 weeks i'd be fine!! I'd gladly wait a few more weeks if I thought I'd be ok and back to me again. But I don't know what will happen. It's all a gamble. All I know is that it's been the worst experience of my life!! I wish I was out the other side of it. It has ruined my life.
    I sincerely hope that you and others get better soon. I wouldn't not wish this on anybody. I wish you strength in whatever decision you make. Just reach out to family and friends. What I have learnt is that lots of people take anti-anxiety meds etc but nobody discusses it. There must be loads of women going through this every day be it through pregnancy, peri menopause, menopause itself or stopping breast feeding,....... or stopping the pill....why isn't it discussed more? It's a pity it isn't that people resort to online discussions (which I am extremely grateful for)..... but it needs to be talked about more I think.
    Anyway, that is my long winded (sorry) update on things. I wish I had a better update on it but unfortunately I don't.
    Only thing I can say is ask for help when you need it. It is out there. Xxxx

13. Deirdre

Deirdre Member

Hi Everybody, I'm just back to update regarding my situation as Mare23 was looking for an update. I guess first off I'll say that every bodies experience is different. Mine is quite different to others-I don't know is that due to age, lifestyle, genetic make-up???
    Anyway, so I quit birth control in May 2015 and I didn't have proper periods until June this year!!! I had brown spotting for a year and in June this year I had my first bleed as such (tmi), and June this year was also when the extreme anxiety set in (I was having symptoms of anxiety for the first year but I was able to go about life and I was happy enough and working and everything-I had panic attacks too and tingling in hands etc but my mind wasn't too bad. But in June when I got my first bleed I woke up a different person. I don't want to go too into the symptoms because I know that I became worse reading other people's posts. Anyway, the extreme anxiety lasted about 2 -3 months and now I'm in a depressed stage with about 2 months, I've had every test under the sun because I also have a genetic condition that could cause similar symptoms that doctors wanted to rule issues out. I've had endoscopy,barium swallow test, heart stress test,MRI of head and spine, consultation with ENT, aonsultation with gynaecologist (consultation really only means they loook at me for 5 minutes and say your fine come back in x amount of months if you still don't feel good), I had chest x-rays and mumerous blood tests, and 2 hormone test and everything came back 'normal' except for small hernia and acid reflux but I knew about that before. So I too tried 2 SSRI's and I tried Xanax for the month of June 2016 at half a tablet a day.
    Anyway, it's been a long road and I was into psychiatrist again today looking for help. Today she suggested going back on the pill to see how I do as I seem to be getting worse each month rather better like others have-now this is just my body doing its thing so please don't think yours won't recover because yours is different. I'm going to add that I am 34 yes of age and that I think that I could quite possibly be in early peri menopause (don't think you are please but I think I may have had symptoms of peri menopause the year prior to coming off the pill as well) one of my sisters pointed this out that I had zapping under the skin sensations and crawling sensation on skin and dry skin about 3 years ago that lasted about 8-9 months. Anyway, since I haven't been improving I'm inclined to think I may be in peri...... I got a prescription for my old birth control today and I was told to take it ASAP not to wait till my period and I was given another low dose anxiety pill. Obviously I am scared to take either as my anxiety has centres around my health and I'm completely petttified to take any pills now which is so unlike me. But yesterday I was crying hysterically all morning and I asked to be brought to the hospital to be checked in because I felt I was getting worse (and yesterday was ovulation day!!! Surprise surprise). It's just amazing how hormones can be so debilitating. I too long for my carefree self. I know my aunts never had an issue with peri etc but they also never took the pill or any hormones.
    This has been a difficult time, I'm a single mom and right now my daughter is being looked after by family members for the last few days as I just couldn't. I too have lost 2 and a half stone in weight. I weigh about 50.5 in weigh (8 stone). My clothes hang off me now and I don't have any appetite.
    Like I said please don't read too much into my story because your body is very different to mine. I wasn't kind to my body like I should have been before stopping birth control. I will say is that psychiatrist do go looking for hidden stories from past etc to verify why you have anxiety and I will say that I have had 1-2 experiences in my distant past that they are grasping at but that I feel I was managing fine with and that I was living with ok before I stopped birth control. They were past experiences that only ever cropped up briefly once or twice a year. But they do like to open up your mind and pin it on these events and they really put everything down to anxiety. Also as soon as you mention anxiety in A&E etc you can see the doctors expression change and they automatically shut down from listening to you almost and they want you out of there (sad way but true) but I guess us hormonal anxiety ridden women have been clogging up their Departments a bit. I was in a few times and heard women of all ages saying 'I suffer anxiety' and most were menopausal age or peri age.
    Anyway, I'm gone off track with my response..... all I can say is please don't read too much into other people's experiences as it can make you experience it to. I was grateful to find this site at the start but I became obssessed with it....... just know what your going through is a hormonal imbalance-it happens to women after pregnancy, in peri menopause and menopause and I've seen accounts of women who quit breads feeding and went through anxiety and depression when they stopped as their hormones needed to balance out.
    So I'm absolutely terrified to start my birth control up again but I'm terrified not to as well so it sucks. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future. I'd love to know like say in 4 weeks i'd be fine!! I'd gladly wait a few more weeks if I thought I'd be ok and back to me again. But I don't know what will happen. It's all a gamble. All I know is that it's been the worst experience of my life!! I wish I was out the other side of it. It has ruined my life.
    I sincerely hope that you and others get better soon. I wouldn't not wish this on anybody. I wish you strength in whatever decision you make. Just reach out to family and friends. What I have learnt is that lots of people take anti-anxiety meds etc but nobody discusses it. There must be loads of women going through this every day be it through pregnancy, peri menopause, menopause itself or stopping breast feeding,....... or stopping the pill....why isn't it discussed more? It's a pity it isn't that people resort to online discussions (which I am extremely grateful for)..... but it needs to be talked about more I think.
    Anyway, that is my long winded (sorry) update on things. I wish I had a better update on it but unfortunately I don't.
    Only thing I can say is ask for help when you need it. It is out there. Xxxx

14. Mare23

Mare23 New Member

I too had stomach issues i think i got better when i started taking probiotic

Deirdre I have actually followed your posts for some time now. Im 34 too and it sucks we have to go through this. I will go to this psychologist doctor with an open mind and hope god is on my side. Thank you for your response. I truly wish you the best. Lots of strenght for you.

15. Deirdre

Deirdre Member

best of luck Mare23. I hope you get better soon. I've prayed so much since this started. I know there is a lesson in this for me by god but it doesn't make it any easier when you are going through it. I look forward to the day I pull through this. Hopefully we will get better soon. Take care and do update when you get better. :)

16. acowles224

acowles224 New Member

I'm getting close to month 4 off BC and yes I agree, the first 3 months have been the worst of my entire life...I also started seeing a counselor (only 2x so far) and it does help talking it out to an unbiased person...I unfortunately have been left with some kind of stomach issue after taking the pill...I have tried almost all traditional medicine tests and now am waiting to see if I'm allergic to any foods via a blood test from my allergist. I am also struggling with anxiety and depression, first time in my life, because I had to pull out of my 3rd year of college, move back to my parents house and my relationship isn't doing well because of everything happened when I got sick (yes all these things happened because how sick the pill made me). I thought "Oh once I stop the pill, within a few days I'll be feeling myself". So, so wrong...:(
    If you don't mind me asking, why you had the endoscopy/barium swallow etc? I ask because we've had some of the same procedures done. I got mine done for continuous nausea, stomach upset, constipation (tmi), acidity

17. Deirdre

Deirdre Member

Hi, I had the endoscopy recently because when I statted waking up with a really painful sore throats about 2 months ago and I couldn't eat because it was sore and I was losing weight fast. I also have bad post nasal drip. All these things were mad worse since coming off the pill. If you check peri menopause sites and menopause sites you see many women complain of sudden onset of acid reflux, allergies etc due to hormone fluctuations. It's so confusing what to do. I have the birth control and an anti d which I'm supposed to start and frankly I'm scared to try each. I don't want to get worse either. I just want to get better. It's an awful feeling. I wish everybody well in this journey.