5-HTP

Discussion in 'Mental Wellbeing' started by loopylou25, Mar 21, 2006.

1. lorlor

lorlor New Member

Amazing, Oonu, I noticed Execedrin has caffiene in it and now I will not take it. I get so jittery on caffiene since the anxieties appeared.
  2. Oonu

Oonu New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this! I'm going to see my naturopath today, if I can get in and see what he has to say. First day without taking BCP, and I feel ok, same as yesterday. I'm sure it's going to take longer for any of these drugs to get out of my system.

Cheers!
  3. lorlor

lorlor New Member

Oonu, good luck and I look forward to hear waht your nartuopath has to say...
  4. lorlor

lorlor New Member

Oonu, good luck and I look forward to hear waht your nartuopath has to say...
  5. Alex_C

Alex_C New Member

I am in love with 5-HTP. For the past week and a half I was feeling horrible, so numb I found no pleasure or happiness in anything. I have a feeling it was the anti-depressant making me feel that way. Today I started taking 5-HTP again and here I am, listening to music with a smile on my face. Screw Doctors and their prescriptions, I'm sticking with this stuff from now on. I feel SO relieved.

6. Tempting Toffee

Tempting Toffee Active Member

iv ordered some as well! can u take them with st johns wort?
  7. Tempting Toffee

8. Tempting Toffee

mine arrived today and they say they have vitamin b6,magnesiums in. I have already been taking these seperately, should i just take the 5-htp?
    and can it be taken with st johns wort?
  9. Tempting Toffee

10. Tempting Toffee

I just randomly looked on google for 'chocolate and serotonin' and it is meant to help...obv not significantly but hey its an excuse to eat it [​IMG]
  11. Alex_C

Alex_C New Member

chocolate gives you a good feeling for a bit, but then you crash and supposedly it makes you a bit down. That's what I've read..
  12. lorlor

lorlor New Member

Since I have been so paranoid to take 5-htp, I finally gained the nerve to take Relacore. It is to control your cortisol levels that are related to stress. They sell it to reduce your belly fat,and also as a feel good pill. It contains magnolia bark - which calms you. You are to take 2 pills 3/day. I was feeling a bit anxious, so I took one this morning and felt calm. About 3 hours later I started to feel anxious again, I did not know if it was the pill or me. So I took another, I started to feel anxious again a few hours later. I did not take the third. I having been fighting the anxiousness the rest of the night. I am wondering if anyone has taken Relacore. They boast no side effects. I also wonder if I should be taking the two like suggested or could this just be masking my symptoms and I should truly replenish my serontonin via 5-htp. Any thoughts?
  13. Tempting Toffee

well i have only taken 5-HTP for 3days, but the 1st day it didnt make much difference, it may be that you have to take it for longer cos it wont cure you straight away
  14. Tempting Toffee

yeah i read something similar you shouldnt eat too much, other wise the levels crash.but it helped me last night [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  15. lorlor

lorlor New Member

Jen87, how is the 5-htp going for you. I am still hesitant. Silly, huh? Love to hear how your felt the first time. Also, how much are you taking and when? Thanks.

16. Tempting Toffee

Initially I felt calmer and less anxious but the last couple of days I have been just as anxious (I am only 17 days off the pill, and have only been taking 5-HTP for 7days) so I cant expect a cure immediately. I think my advice is that it wont do you any harm but dont expect a cure, or an improvement immedietly. Remember every one is different. I have taken 2 a day, but the last 2 days 3 (didnt make much diff, cos my hormones are wild due to pms i think) but I did definately recognise less anxiety at first.
  17. Tempting Toffee

how long has it taken for other people to work?
  18. Alex_C

Alex_C New Member

The last time I was on 5-HTP it took two or three weeks for me to feel improvement. After that it was smooth sailing, I felt wonderful and my weird OCD-like tendencies, irrational thoughts and poor moods went away. It was fabulous.

Then I went off thinking that I was fine and could handle it from there, but had relapse depression. I tried anti-depressants for a week but they made me almost emotionless. I went off and got back on 5-HTP and within a week I was feeling better again.

At the moment I'm a bit weepy but Aunt Flow is due tomorrow and I always get this way a few days before.

I'm hoping after I start I'll feel a lot better, like I have been for the past two weeks.

Just make sure you keep taking the 5-HTP daily to allow a full improvement!
  19. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

Took me the full three months (maybe four) to be able to go off of the 5HTP (about 200 mg/day worked well for me) but I'm only taking it every 2nd or 3rd day now and still feeling great and like myself again! Hang in there--and when you come off of it, don't go cold turkey--wean yourself and start taking either less per day or taking it every other day. I stopped taking it in the morning and only take it in the evenings now as well.....
  20. Tempting Toffee

my packet from a herbal shop says no more than 2 50mg a day! so thats what im doin