Anyone else tried the 17 day Diet?

Discussion in 'Dieting and Weight' started by Raunchy-Row, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

A girlfriend and I have ordered the book and DVDs--and I even have hubby on board to help me get through the first cycle--has anyone tried this and had it work/not work? I'm leery of "diets" in general but need a kickstart. My girlfriend seems to think that we might have to stay on it for a while and go back to it every so often forever, and I hate thinking that way! But it seems as good a way as any to get started.....
  2. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

I've never heard of it! Did you end up trying it row?
  3. Raunchy-Row

First day today! It seems pretty good so far!

4. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

How's it goin hun?
  5. april1212

april1212 New Member

Hey girls! The 17 day diet just got covered by my local news last week and I've been interested in hearing how real people have got on with it. I'm in need of shedding a few winter pounds and was thinking about giving it a go. How's it going so far? From the date, you should be well over 17 days into it--happy with the results?
  6. Raunchy-Row

Well that was a bust! I think it probably works really well for people with no diet restrictions but I'm a non-meat eater (eat chicken occasionally as soy protein disagrees with me, but nothing else) and the diet is really big on meat-protein sources, fish, and eggs, especially in the more restrictive phase in the first 17 days. I had a really hard time adjusting the recipes to a vegetarian diet. I also had a really hard time (even though the book covers this) working with it on a shift-work schedule.

The video is okay but only if you're coordinated person, there isn't a lot of lead-in and it got better with practice but most of the time you still have to do "dancy" moves and that part got kinda irritating.

In short....I quit! I still liked some of the recipes and have been incorporating the basic premise (smaller meals with lots of protein, less carb, virtually no wheat or sugar most of the time) in my routine now: weight training at least every other day, walks whenever I can, I'm throwing in some running at a slow pace sometimes after my weight training and just watching what I eat. Sugar and wheat are really big ones for me so I've been eating lots of fruit and veggies, protein, etc.

My friend who was doing it had a really hard time with it as well, mostly I think because her family wasn't very supportive and expected her to keep making normal meals every day on top of cooking specially for herself, and she has two small children on top of it. Her grandparents, though, went nuts on this diet--they each lost like 15 lbs in the first 17 days (they followed it to the letter).
  7. watermelone

watermelone New Member

8. Raunchy-Row

Yeah I quit pretty quickly, sold the book and DVD within like 3 months. It's completely unrealistic for vegetarians especially and the video SUCKS--not easy or for those who are uncoordinated (which a lot of overweight people are!). I wouldn't recommend it to anyone based on my own experience.