Anyone else trying to lose a few Part II

Discussion in 'Dieting and Weight' started by StLGaL, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Raunchy-Row

Raunchy-Row Super Moderator Staff Member

I fart MORE when I work out...so there goes that theory....
  2. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Great big bags of leftover Halloween candy have wreaked havoc! Haha, somehow managed to lose 3 lbs. Probably more muscle turning into fat!!

How in the world do I tune up the saggy ex-pregnant belly skin? It's nasty. I have stomach muscles underneath it, and have lost most of the fat, so I'm toned there, but the skin is sagging. Ick.
  3. OlderMan

OlderMan New Member

Aerobic activity. I need to do some of that myself. But not until after the holidays!
  4. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

I go to the gym 3 days a week, and do cardio for 30-45 mins. Definetly the only way to burn the fat and shed the pounds. (for me anyway). I also do a few repetitions of resistance training of arms or legs.
  5. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Well, my weight's finally back down to pre-pregnancy. While that's good, it doesn't mean much since I have lost alot of muscle tone. But at least my clothes fit. And my saggy belly skin doesn't respond to aerobic activity or weights...just an artifact of skin stretch to its limit. That's either going to take more time, or is just going to be a permanent fixture. Physically, I probably should have had kids in my 20's (thank god I didn't).

6. BRIANAAAA

BRIANAAAA New Member

I see no one has posted in here for a little while. But hey..
    DG - congrats on getting down to your pre pregnancy weight. I have 30 lbs to lose and today is day one!
  7. desertgirl

desertgirl Active Member

Well, I'm down to my prepregnancy weight but it doesn't mean too much! My body changed so much--I lost so much muscle...so I really need to tone and lose the fat that replaced the muscle. And I'm working on it. DH 'makes' me go running a couple of times a week, I swim, hike, etc. Got the cardio down. What I really need to do is get back into weights, but right now, the gym time is out of the question. I do weights and weight bearing exercises at home, and I'm getting there. Sloooooowly.

Oh,Brianna, for sure, since I started jogging again, I'm feeling soooo much better (emotionally). Love the endorphins!
  8. BRIANAAAA

BRIANAAAA New Member

lol [​IMG]

You are so lucky you live where it is warm though... it will be so much easier when i dont have to just run on my treadmill staring at mounds of snow outside my window! I cant wait to take Landon for walks and go swimming!

I need to use weights too... and im not sure how im going to get rid of this flabby PP belly [​IMG]
  9. nafi

nafi New Member

So my sis's wedding is June 20th. I wanna look good, therefore need to lose about 30lbs. I will possibly be happy with less depending on where it's lost and how I'm looking, but to lose the 30lbs is about 2 per week which isn't horrible. Being that I don't like gyms I gotta find things I can do at home. I am going to set up my wii again but it's gotta be upstairs as we only have 1 tv right now. The living room is directly above the garage so I'm hoping it works ok up here. However, the wii fit that I have I don't think does enough for me to actually lose weight, I'm looking into possibly buying the EA Sports Active game and seeing if that's better as the reviews on it seem good.

But has anyone tried any other fitness games? Or know other things I can do at home without no equipment? I think we have some 5 lbs weights but that's it's. I am determined to lose this weight and keep it off and get back in good shape and feeling good about myself and how I look, but I need to find something I can do that will keep me interesting and will work.
  10. Lanata29

Lanata29 New Member

I've always struggled with keeping on some sort of exercise program and I also don't like gyms.. I've tried pilates and such (that you do at home) but one thing that I have come to love is belly dancing. I started by joining a class as part of my campus recreation and instantly LOVED it...however the class no longer works with my schedule so I have had to find other ways of keeping up with it. There are tons of belly dancing workout videos that you can order from places like amazon.com and such for a cheap price.

Belly Dancing is great cardio and great for toning due to all the body isolations, but it also makes me feel so confident about myself..it really is sensual and just super fun to do! I even got my roommate hooked on it. You don't really need anything to do it, although a coin belt makes its more authentic (or even just a scarf with tassels on it to see hip movement easier) Kathy Smith's Flex Appeal Belly Dance workout is pretty good for beginners. I also like Belly Dance Fitness for Weight Loss with Rania. I hope to get back into belly dancing classes soon, but for now videos work.
  11. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

The length of this thread is an excellent testament to the inaccuracy and ineffectiveness of current nutritional 'wisdom'. Read this post: http://freetheanimal.com/2009/08/despair-im-too-old-and-im-too-fat-to-go-out.html
    And then read the rest of the site.

(sorry if this comes across as kind of promotional.... I just get sad that so many people are stuck putting in plenty of effort to lose weight and have little success through no fault of their own - that's what happens when everyone around you promotes one hyped-up and scientifically ungrounded theory)
  12. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

Cardiovascular exercise, and eliminating certain foods has worked for me. I eliminated sodas, fast food, candy, pizza. I cut back on starchy foods such as rice, potatoes, and pasta. I also tried to cut back on red meat and pork, and try to eat more of chicken and fish. It really amazing what a little cutting back and a little more of eating certain foods will do to your body!!
  13. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

Creating a caloric deficit will make you lose weight, but it will always be regained unless you change the metabolic milieu (ie. the hormonal environment) of your body. I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm belittling your achievement, and if you've eliminated sugar and other sources of carbs, especially gluten-based ones, you probably HAVE effected some metabolic conditioning and will have no trouble maintaining the loss if you keep those changes up .
    The common instruction to cut back on meat though is quite pointless, and even counterproductive. Meat has high-quality protein, top-quality fat, especially if you get grass-fed, and loads of fat-soluble vitamins. Chicken and fish are very yummy too, though! Plus fish is rich in omega-3s which are important to supplement if you're following the unfortunate mainstream advice to cut back on saturated fat and replace it with omega-6 loaded polyunsaturates. Polyunsaturates contribute to insulin-resistance, small-density LDL, and a host of other issues. Plant fats aren't meant for eating (olive oil, nut oils and avocado oils are technically fruit fats and a pretty good for you, being mostly monounsaturated. Saturated is still best though), and their extraction inevitably results in oxidation, which is really really bad.

With respect to cardio, have you tried interval training? If you do high intensity intervals (all out for 30 seconds, slow until you recover, repeat 4-6 times), it will not only burn more calories, but you will have affected more metabolic conditioning in 15-20 minutes of training than you could in 1+ h of steady-state cardio. If you try it, I think 2 weeks should be enough to see a difference from your usual routine, depending on how hard you can push yourself during the intervals.
  14. MNM

MNM New Member

Good advice here..... [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  15. nafi

nafi New Member

http://www.drbdiet.com/

Anyone heard or tried this? I can't find the cost for it but thinking of calling and seeing what exactly this is all about. They guarantee 10lbs/month which is Just what i need to be where i want by my sister's wedding. But not sure about it especially depending on the cost. Just looking for other opinions or experiences with this.

16. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

I agree with the interval training. I have a 20 minute cardio workout DVD, and in 20 minutes of interval training, I feel like Ive gotten more of a workout than just doing 20 minutes on say the elliptical or bike. It switches back and forth between high intensity cardio, and strength training. Totally works!! And it only takes 20 minutes out of your day!!
  17. nafi

nafi New Member

Anyone tried weight watchers? I haven't yet called this DrB place to find out pricing, but I'm betting it's more then I want to spend. WW however does have an online program which would be about $85 for 3 months then $22 each month after. Or a different program where you actually go to meetings and get weighed by them and all for about $220 for 3 months.
  18. Slvrtide

Slvrtide New Member

My mom did WW a couple years ago and I have a friend who has currently lost over 50lbs with them. What I've heard from them is that it's a good plan if you're feeling shaky on the weight loss basics and they give you tons of support. Plus I've heard it's something that's pretty easy to stick with. Might be really good if you looking for a set, organized plan to lose weight!
  19. nafi

nafi New Member

And it does seem affordable too which is great of course. I just may try it. Set up a meeting or something and see what they say and exactly how it would work. Also get their opinion on whether they feel the web or the in person stuff would be better for me.
  20. kris1980

kris1980 Member

nafi i did WW for 3 months and the ideas are basic and easy to follow. I lost weight and its something that if i find i need to drop 5-10lbs- i just start the plan on my own and go from there.

Its basic calories in vs calories out but it promotes keeping track of each by points. If you weigh X and your height is X and your activity level is X then you can have X # of points per day.
    And everything you eat or drink has a point value. Including the tablespoon of sugar you put in your coffee. Which is something i never thought about before. So my five cups of coffee a morning habit- cost me 2 points per cup- hello- 10 points already used by 10am... and i was allowed 20 a day. Doesn't leave much else. It really makes you stop and think.

And i suggest if you've never done the program before- do the community meetings- because online its so easy to cheat, not weigh in...etc. But if you have to stand in front of someone weekly and get on a scale- there the scare factor. At least thats how i was anyway.