Bacterial Vaginosis won't go away- Please help!

Discussion in 'Reproductive Health' started by healthy1991, Aug 21, 2012.

1. healthy1991

healthy1991 New Member

I have been struggling with this for over a month now. Originally diagnosed as a yeast infection, however when that did not go away with Diflucan/Monistat they did a smear and found that it was actually bacterial vaginosis. I took metrogel (antiobiotic) for 5 days as directed and nothing has changed. I have tried to get a hold of my doctor, but I have spent a lot of money on Dr. visits and nothing seems to be helping.

The inside of my vagina has a white mucousy covering. I have thick off-white discharge. I've also noticed some thick white clumps, but apparently that is from the metrogel leaving the vagina. I have no pain/itching/burning.

They also tested me for chlamydia and gonorrhea which were negative.

I had a pap smear done which was normal.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thank you.
  2. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

When did you have the normal pap smear? Was it after you were treated for BV? If you still had BV at that time, the pap should have caught it. If it came up negative, you probably don't have bacterial vaginosis anymore.

Thick off white discharge could mean anything: medicine leaving your vagina, or infection, or even just normal cycle discharge, especially if you're ovulating.

How do you know the inside of your vagina has a white mucousy covering? Did you look inside it with a speculum? There's no way you could see it otherwise.
  3. Confused-Hasya

Confused-Hasya Active Member

If there isn't pain or itching or burning, would it be an infection at all? I wouldn't think so, but perhaps someone else can answer this. The discharge could be the cream leaving you, I would think.
  4. GreenTea

I've had bacterial vaginosis without any of those symptoms, and with no noticeable discharge, either. It did hurt a little to have sex when the infection really got bad, but that was all, and if I hadn't been having sex right then, I wouldn't have known. The only way I found out I had BV was that I went in for a routine pap, and the pap caught it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  5. Confused-Hasya

6. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

I've struggled w/ recurring yeast and BV for about 3 1/2 years (since getting pregnant w/ my oldest). During my last pregnancy the metrogel quit working altogether. Clindamyacin worked, but I think only because I was becoming resistant to the metrogel/flagyl (also metronidazole but in oral form). I have found the best relief by avoiding carbs (a bummer, I know) and inserting plain yogurt in the vagina nightly. You can also douche w/ raw apple cider vinegar (watered down of course) or hydrogen peroxide (also watered down). Google these for the correct concentrations-I don't remember. Both of these attempt to restore the Ph of the vagina. You can also insert probiotic capsules. Making a garlic "tampon" or suppository of sorts will act as a natural antibiotic/antifungal. My routine usually consists of garlic tampon at night, vinegar douche in the morning and yogurt/probiotic during the day-though you may have to re-arrange as the yogurt is messy. That way I am killing the bacteria, normalizing the Ph and re-introducing healthy bacteria.

As for knowing if you still have one, have your OB confirm. As GreenTea said, mucus is normal sometimes and can mean lots of different things, but pain is not always associated w/ this kind of infection. BV is a tricky little bugger...

7. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

I agree with GT. Both times I was diagnosed with BV, I had no symptoms. No itching, no discharge, nothing really out of the ordinary. It was diagnosed upon taking a sample of vaginal discharge and looking under a microscope.

Both times were treated with Flagyl for 7 days. I try to eat yogurt daily, and drink lots of water.
  8. Confused-Hasya

What's a garlic tampon, HWG? As in, how do you make it? And do you do this regularly?

During pregnancy, I would get the worst itch ever if I ate sweets. Even now, I don't eat sweets because of that experience. Does BV get caught in a pap smear?
  9. GreenTea

When I had BV, that was the only treatment that worked for me. The prescription treatment had absolutely no effect besides making my mouth taste like metal for a week and a half.

To make a garlic tampon, you peel (but don't nick!) a clove of garlic and insert it. Sewing a thread or piece of dental floss through it is advisable; that gives you a string to pull it out. Without a string, it's much harder to get out. For my treatment, I wore the garlic round the clock for about five days, changing it two or three times a day.

Another way to do it is to get some kyolic (garlic supplement) capsules and insert them, two or three at a time, two or three times a day. Kyolic will work its own way out of your body; you don't have to remove it. If you do this, make sure there's nothing but garlic in the capsules--some kyolics have other things added, which won't do for this purpose.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  10. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Yep-that's how I make my garlic tampon. But, be careful, I have perpetual garlic breath when I wear one! That's why I prefer to do it at night, if possible.
  11. lavenderspark

lavenderspark New Member

I had BV so often that my doctor eventually just gave me a six month supply of the medicine so I feel your frustration.

I never tried any of the things others have mentioned here so if those work for you great, but what worked for me was the vaginal was that Vagisil makes. It comes in a pink bottle and is usually found with douches at the store.

I've found this is the ONLY soap I can use as every other soap always caused irritation. It's a mild soap used specifically for the vaginal area and can be used every day.
  12. LillyBilly304

LillyBilly304 New Member

Has anyone tried the products out there for BV? LadyBalance? My Flora Bliss? I've tried most things out there, so im a little hesitant on buying these.
  13. scentofme

scentofme New Member

I used to get BV very frequently. It was worse when using doctor prescriptions. I know longer use anything else but a garlic colve wrapped in gauze and insert it into my vagina. My BV flare ups have been a lot less common.