Bleeding after D&C - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Reproductive Health' started by sunflwr, Dec 16, 2007.

1. sunflwr

sunflwr New Member

I had a D&C at 12 weeks of pregnancy (nov 5). For the first 2 days there was barely any bleeding, but then I bled for 3 weeks. Dr said told me in advance that most likely I would bleed for about 3 wks, so i was expecting it.

Then, 1 week after the bleeding stopped, I got my period (dec 8). It was the heaviest period I've ever had. I had to call the dr to ask if everything was okay as I changed pads every hour! he told me that the first cycle after the d&c is often very heavy so that this was normal. Period lasted for 1 week (normal for me). then, 2 days later (today) I got my period again! What the heck is going on!

I am away on vacation and don't have access to a dr, but am really concerned. Has anyone experienced this before?

Is it normal to have this type of strange bleeding after a d&C? What is causing this?
  2. Crystal

Crystal New Member

After all my miscarriages(9 total-3 d&C's) I have never ever been through bleeding like this, I mean the first cycle after I naturally miscarried was really bad, but it lasted only the normal time frame and I never bled more than once in the month. I would be very concerned about becoming anemic from all the bleeding! Of course every womans' body reacts differently so maybe it is normal, but in my case it did not happen that way. After my recent D&C on October 25th, I did not get my first cycle until the 8th of December too and it was rather mild. Our bodies are so weird! If you are very concerned I would contact your doctor again and let them know that you started yet another cycle. Maybe you have a tear or something(I am so hoping that is not the case here). It is better to be safe than sorry!
    Good luck and I hope you get it resolved quickly because this is the last thing you need to be dealing with while you are trying to grieve for the loss of your child.
    Take care and keep us updated!
    Crystal
  3. Beachgirl

Beachgirl New Member

Sunflower...I am just now reading this message. Has your bleeding stopped or at least slowed down? I ended up in the ER during my first period after my D & C because I thought I was hemorrhaging. It turned out to be clots that weren't passing on their own. I was fine once they got the clots out. My doctor did tell me that it was just a really bad period and didn't link it to anything else. Keep us updated on how you're doing!

4. sunflwr

sunflwr New Member

Hi Beachgirl and Crystal, I'm just now reading your reples. I was abroad and internet was aweful, so after I posted i couldn't log back onto the site to see anything!

My bleeding did stop. After AF it stopped for 2 days, and then it just came back for 1 day. (that's when i posted) Then, it disappeared again. So it basically just came back for 1 day. I hope it has something to do with the fact that i was flying just 2 days prior, or maybe period wasn't actually over. I don't know. I feel good now. I'm PMSing quite a bit this time around, so I think next AF should be just around the corner!

It was scary though being abroad with no access to a doctor and bleeding like crazy. I was able to call my OBGYN through a hospital and they paged him on the spot. (gotta love the Canadian health care!) He told me that it was all normal, and that i shouldn't worry unless it continued for another 5 days. He also told me to take 200mg ibuprofen tablets every 4 hours, aparently it would slow down the bleeding. I didn't take them as the bleeding stopped on its own.
    Thank you all for your concerns!