Bridal shower- gift ideas?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Absy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Absy

Absy New Member

My good friend from college, whom I've known about 6 years now, is getting married in November. His fiance is having a bridal shower which I actually cannot attend [previous commitment].

The thing is, I still need to purchase a gift and I have really no idea what to get because I've only ever met/interacted with this gal for 5 mins!! [weird all in and of itself, but that's a different story!]

I realize it's customary to simply purchase something from their registry, but nothing on the list is particularly special-- mostly utilitarian things like linens, dishware, etc etc.

I always reserved the bridal shower gift as something very feminine and special but since I don't know her at all, it's be pretty awkward to buy her lingerie or something! haha. In the past I have given gift certificates to massages, bath products, a basket of yummy goodies, lingerie, etc.

Now, I'm stumped. They don't have champagne flutes on their reg. and I know they don't HAVE any-- so I was thinking of buying a pair from our local Simon Pierce [really upscale glassware]. Is that good or just completely lame? Any other suggestions out there? Help!
  2. StLGaL

StLGaL New Member

I don't think it's lame..but just getting married myself, I had people ask me what I wanted and say they didn't want to get something off the registry that they wanted to get something else, something unique or whatever..and honestly it was frustrating b/c everything I wanted was on the registry...so I would just stick to that. Then you know for sure it's something that she wants and will use. If you stray from it, it's kind of hit or miss.
  3. Jessucka

Jessucka New Member

For bridal showers I usually get certificates to get a full body massage. I hear brides need those things.

You can always do a gift basket of moof setters. (could be for her or for her to use with him). Scented candles. Body lotions. Massage kits, etc.

I never buy fancy dishes or appliances b/c I figure I need them just as much as they do. I'd buy it for myself first.

But thats just me.

4. Absy

Absy New Member

I just bit the bullet and bought them two really beautiful champagne flutes. I figure, fun stuff for them at the shower, ultilitarian and off the registry for the main event! hehe

Thanks for the suggestions, though [​IMG]
  5. fink1434

fink1434 New Member

People who are looking to give a unique gifts, There search ends up here http://bottlemeamessage.com/ as this
    is best site i have seen so far having such a great and unique ideas.
  6. iampam

iampam Active Member

I was not a big fan of people giving me stuff that wasn't on the registry. A few people gave really special, unique gifts that we will cherish, but most of the others seemed like they were regifted. I appreciated the thought, but most of them got passed along to others. I wouldn't have liked champagne flutes, as we never drink it and don't have the cabinet space, but if you know they like that sort of thing...

I did work hard to make sure we had good registries at two different stores, and on both we registered for things in a wide range of prices. I have an old friend getting married, and I wanted to get her a little gift... everything on her registry (it's small) is $80 or more! Guess I am just getting her a gift card!
  7. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I usually do a nice picture frame (depending on style I'll get their names and/or wedding date engraved on it as well) unless I know they really need something else. I'm sure most people are unaware of the custom (I heard about it on the radio), but there is a tradition of giving gifts with an eggplant theme to newlyweds to promote fertility. LOL! I think it falls along the lines of giving gifts with pineapple for a housewarming to signify hospitality.
  8. PaulaKoala

PaulaKoala New Member

For my shower I made sure I had a lot of small things on my registry such as kitchen gadgets. I registered for really nice Henkels stuff; like a $25 cheese knife, cheese plane, pizza cutter....towels, stainless steel martini glasses that kind of stuff under $40. My friend who hosted the shower wrote on the invites that it was a "kitchen theme" and that guests were welcome to "fill my kitchen with gadgets". It was awesome because the last thing I wanted was a bunch of lingerie that didn't fit or stuff that I didn't need. Not to be ungrateful but I'd rather people not even waste their money. Gift cards are always good too but just not as fun.
  9. TDG

TDG New Member

I sell these really cool gift card albums. Its like a book full of stuff to choose from with a gift card that has the redemption number. Its really nice for people you dont know well because its funner than a gift card--but they pick their own gift. They just get online or call--give the redemption number and choose their gift n it gets sent right to them. They range from $30 -$1000 and there is specialty ones--like for a wedding, new baby, or luxury stuff for ladies etc.

I wont post MY website because Im not tryin to sell(course you can pm me if you want it lol)...

but you can check them out at ordermygift.com --see view albums on left.