Cloth Diapering Part 3!

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by gutterflower, May 20, 2011.

1. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

Thought I'd start off a fresh new topic for you ladies!
  2. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Guess we got extra chatty again. LOL
  3. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

I've been behind over here! Basically... still using cloth pretty much exclusively, and only using BG AIO. She still fits in both medium and large, so I have enough for a whole stash. All my pockets and AI2 are just sitting in my closet! Haven't decided what to sell, haven't had time. Ugh! I have noticed that I think my AIO are starting to get just a little funky. I've done some sorta-stripping, try to do a soak step most of the time, so far so good.

I do have a couple that are really stained brownish orange (not sure what the heck she had eaten!!), and not even the sun has helped. Anyone have a good tip for getting stains out? I've added a little bleach, but doesn't seem to be enough.

Out of the blue, another one of my friends who I never would have expected sent me a text asking about g-diapers. She got some to try. I explained that they are like the gateway drug of cloth diapering, LOL! I gave her a bunch of advice, and now she has switched to BG one-size pockets and loves them.

That's me and cloth in a nutshell these days, LOL!...

4. iampam

iampam Active Member

MW - Have you tried soaking in Oxyclean?
  5. desertgirl

desertgirl New Member

Send 'em here--I'm sure the tucson sun could blast them clean! Yes, maybe a soak in oxyclean might help? Or a longer soak in bleach?

I've been hearing that the new Tide Ultra is horrible for diapers! I hope it's not true!
  6. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Have any of you had issues with your PUL cracking after using bleach? I'm wondering why mine cracked so bad and I always chalked it up to the bleach but if you guys are using it without issue then maybe that wasn't the problem. Hmm.

Maybe as the intensity of the sun get stronger with the summer months here sun bleaching my help better. I will sometimes get stains on the bamboo inserts, but usually after another washing or two they disappear. Mine just have a nice yellow hue to them now because of the stupid microfiber cloths I used, which I'm now getting away from again. I can't stand how thick her diapers are and I think it's bothersome for her. Plus, sometimes there is so much padding in them that the elastic around the legs ends up being gapped which just makes the leaking worse. Today we went back to the old stuffing method, so we'll see how it goes.
  7. BunnyGirl19

Since RJ had been leaking out his preemie Pampers at night and he's getting close to outgrowing them (he's right about 8 pounds now) I tried the NB ones we got sent home from the hospital with. They hold a ton compared to the preemie diapers!!! Funny because there's not a significant difference in the size of the diaper, but has a lot more padding. He's also going to be outgrowing his tiny Bunny Tails in probably a couple more weeks, but I don't have any of the bigger ones done or cut out. I'm hoping those ones last longer on him than the little ones. He can go 2 hours usually before he's peed enough that he's soaked it enough in a given area that it's spread across the lining to the edge and wicks a little pee onto his clothes. At the two hour mark his clothes are still dry and his diaper usually isn't completely soaked, but if I let him go for 3 hours the majority of the time his diaper is at least 3/4 soaked and he's starting to get wicking at the legs, especially since he's peeing more now that he's eating more at a feeding. He used to be able to go 3 without a problem but be leaking at 4. I'm wondering how long he'll go in the bigger ones since the soaker is twice as much as these. I'm just not looking forward to all the extra drying time. The little ones take 1-1/2 to two hours and our stupid dryer only has 30 minute cycles so you have to keep jumping up and restarting it.
  8. iampam

iampam Active Member

Any tips for CDing on the road? I am going to be out of town for several weeks. Most of the time we'll be fine, as we'll be staying with the in-laws and can use their washer.

But I am trying to figure out the rest of this week...

Tomorrow, I will leave home in the afternoon and make the 3.5 hour drive to Seattle (staying with in-laws). Thursday late morning I drive out to Spokane for the State Championships and will stay at a hotel for two nights, then drive back Saturday evening. I definitely don't have a big enough stash to go Wed-Sat without washing...

I'm thinking about doing a load when I get into town tomorrow night and just drying the covers in the dryer (or I could probably hang them to dry overnight, they dry really fast). Another option would be to try and find a laundromat in Spokane or Cheney and wash there. I don't have any athletes competing that day, but other kids on the team are and there will be a lot of other stuff going on. Or I can just mix it up with disposables... but they leak a lot more for us and give Eddie diaper rash way more often [​IMG] Even if I wash Wednesday night, I'm not sure I have enough to make it through Saturday night, even if I have the XS FBs in the mix.

Fortunately, our head coach managed to snag me my own hotel room, so I can keep the dirty dipes in there without offending anyone. I'm thinking the bathroom counter would probably make a good changing table? That seems safer (stain-wise) than using a spare bed. He can't roll over yet, though I will be careful not to leave his side just in case.
  9. BunnyGirl19

Right now I get more leaks with mine than disposables, but it was equal between mine and the preemie diapers. He's starting to pee larger amounts less frequently now so his BTs may or may not start wicking after one pee now depending on how much he goes. I put one on him today and about 30 minutes later he started crying and fussing. He had peed while lying on his tummy so the front of the diaper was soaked and since he was only wearing a diaper it felt cold when he'd move around. He had pee that had spread to the edges of the diaper so probably would have wicked onto his clithes if he was wearing any. I keep thinking I could fix the wicking at the very edges if I made a gusset there where PUL is sewn there so that it comes out the edge seam and folds to the inside where I'd be able to stitch it down over the lining when I do the elastic casing. I haven't measured or anything to find out how feasible this idea is. I just know the main issue is that by not using a stay-dry liner it holds onto the pee and can spread. I guess there are pros and cons to everything!
  10. BunnyGirl19

Blah. Getting my trademark opposed now under liklihood of confusion. So freaking frustrated right now! They're trying to put me out of business basically.
  11. labby06

labby06 Active Member

pam - I think your plan sounds pretty good. I would just take a stash of disposables along just in case you were to run out of cloth or your wash plan wouldn't quite go to schedule. I'm sure it will all work out. Good luck and have a good trip! [​IMG]

BG - That totally sucks about the trademark. It seems that whenever you try to do something the "legal" way you always end up getting screwed. I hope you can get it all worked out.

As for me, I think I may have to go on cloth diapering hiatus for a few weeks. At least until this nausea passes, lol. Tonight when getting the diapers ready for the wash I ended up getting sick from the poop smell. I had been doing so good so far this pregnancy as far as not getting sick, so it was quite a bummer. I've been having issues changing her poopy diapers lately and have been delegating it to DH when I can, but he doesn't really want to mess with the diapers.

In other news though, she hasn't had any leaks the past 2 days with the less absorbency which has been nice. I've been amazed when I pick her up and she's wearing the same pants she left in! So maybe the stripping did help!
  12. BunnyGirl19

I had a diaper sprayer mishap today. I didn't test the pressure before spraying a diaper. I had turned it on too far and the pressure shot the poopy diaper right out of my hand and it ended up hitting and sticking poopy side to the wall. Yuck! What a mess to clean up! LOL
  13. BunnyGirl19

I'm getting pretty convinced RJ is a super soaker. Last night he was in Pampers for one hour at bedtime and woke up screaming. His diaper was completely soaked front to back and leaking out the front and back. His onesie was completely drenched up to his armpits. I feel better about my leaky BT issue now. LOL! I think he holds it for awhile and then pees a lot at once.
  14. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Welcome to my world, BG! Olivia soaked her bed last night again (disposable). It's pretty much the norm in this house. If you find anything that works for you please share! I just deal with the leaks because I prefer cloth, but I would love not to have them!
  15. BunnyGirl19

With puking constantly I'd prefer he not be leaking at both ends. LOL

The XS BTs are still a little big on him but he's outgrown the absorbancy of the tiny ones. They were working great until the last week and I'd get close to three hours without leaks, same as the preemie Pampers. Now it's one pee with them and anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours. Too much comes out at once for the soaker to contain quickly without it spreading to the edges of the lining. I don't have any XS made for him unless I steal some from my inventory (which I did to try on him), so for now I just bought a box of Pampers in the meantime. Fortunately they don't seem to make rashy. I plan to go back to cloth the majority of the time in the near future, but for now it's less stressful to do the disposables, especially since they normally don't need to be changed as often and I'd prefer not to wake him up to change him when he's soggy as right now it can be very hard to get him calm and sleepy sometimes, especially during the day and most of the evening. At keast he has slept very well the last two nights, a 7 hour stretch one night and 6 the other. I'm pretty sure it was a fluke though. LOL
  16. BunnyGirl19

Well, a Fuzzibunz proved to be worthless when I tested it and was leaking in an hour and the soaker was completely drenched front to back and he was screaming. There was actually pee in there that wasn't really absorbed in the soaker. It was kind of running around in there because it was oversaturated. At least with his tiny BTs he's still got some absorbancy left by the time it starts wicking at the very front leg holes, which is why I think he's just peeing out a lot at once, or maybe an average amount with force. I've never had one so wet that it dripped out or dripped when I picked it up even after a 4-1/2 hour nap, just the wet wicking issue (still thinking there might be a modification I can make to fix that or it wouldn't happen with a stay-dry fabric for the lining since it's my only complaint with them). I haven't seen him pee with his diaper off yet, although he did give SO a shower all over his chest a couple days ago (I didn't see it happen but he had a huge wet spot on his shirt, LOL), so I don't really know how he pees. It seems like sometimes he pees little bits here and there and he can stay in a diaper for a much longer period of time before we get wicking and other times it seems he holds it for awhile and then lets loose all at once and that's when we seem to have the majority of the leaking issues in cloth and disposables. But I'm guessing since his FB was completely dripping wet to the point that he actually had pee run down his legs when I picked him up, that they don't hold much of anything with their standard soaker in the XS size. It did fit him reasonably well overall though and I didn't really have any complaints there. I might like them with a better soaker. I put the Itti Bitti on him to test out right now and it's still a little bit big for him, but not much. It's definitely wearable at this point. The small starts fitting at 8 pounds according to their sizing and yesterday he weighed in at 7 lb 14 oz. He's had the IB on for 45 minutes so far and I just checked a few minutes ago and it's a bit wet, but there's definitely still absorbancy left throughout the diaper and it hasn't wicked or leaked at the legs yet, although the front is definitely getting pretty wet, which is my main with all my diapers right now regardless of type. His front gets wetter than it can hold in one small area and wicks or leaks there depending on the diaper while most of the time the other 1/2 to 2/3 of the diaper is still dry. I'm hoping that improves as he gets bigger or has a more absorbant diaper on.

17. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

Day care friendly diapers? H will be starting august 1st. What do you guys use?
    Are say care workers good at taking the inserts out before putting the diapers in the wetbag?

I'm thinking of trying out the itti bitti d'lish AIOs, and I have ordered three BG Elementals for daycare. I'm not too fond of the idea of taking inserts out of day old cold wet or poopy diapers every night. I was looking at the Blueberry Basix AIO which has a pocket hole both front and back, so inserts come out in the wash.

Thoughts on cloth in daycare?

This hobby is getting way expensive.
    I wish you stocked every brand of cloth diaper in existance, DG, so I could get away with just the one shipping cost. lol!
  18. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I would say either pockets that are pre-stuffed or AIO's. They are the easiest for non-cloth people to use since they go on just like disposables. Our day care is horrible with the dirty ones, but I'm just glad that they use them period. You may want to check with your day care if they will use them because I do know of some around here who will not for "sanitary" reasons, which I don't really get but whatever. Our day care just throws the dirty diapers in the wet bag and half the time doesn't even roll them up. Only one of the girls there actually dumps the poop, the others just throw the diaper in the bag, poop and all. I get annoyed with it sometimes, but then always think of the money we're saving and good we're doing for the earth so that makes it not so bad, lol. Dealing with the day old wet ones isn't bad, but the poops can get pretty nasty...

...Which leads me to my funny story of the day. Dealing with the diapers and this nausea has been rough. Last night was especially rough in the nausea department and I needed to wash diapers because we are leaving today for camping and I didn't want dirty diapers sitting around all weekend. I asked DH if he could please take them apart and dump the poops. I would throw them in the washer but I just can't stomach the smell right now to take them apart. He agreed and I threw them in the washer without paying much attention. Well when I went to take them out of the washer what did I find? Clumps of poop throughout the washer! He obviously didn't do such a good job "dumping" the poop! Gross!
  19. BunnyGirl19

Ew Labby!

RJ's Itti Bitti AIO lasted him about two hours before his legs started leaking. The diaper was pretty wet in the front but not extremely. It was a relatively trim fit although I had a hard time snapping it on him just right. I think the tests of all these diapers including my own would be more accurate if the diapers had been fully prepped instead of just a wash or two. I know both bamboo and zorb require about 10 washes to reach full absorbancy and lose natural oils so that might be contributing to the leaking besides his heavy wetting.
  20. BunnyGirl19

I figured out how to "new and improve" my diapers so I don't have RJ's wicking to the legs and onto his clothes from the lining issues, although I'm pissed the thought never occured to me before! I need to do some measuring so I can try it out and see how it works, but basically instead of having the lining fully bamboo velour all the way across I'm going to have the edges be PUL and the bamboo velour sewed to that so the very edges are the PUL and I'm going to have it so the fabric side of the PUL is against the skin. That way the bamboo can't wick out to the edges. Of course, that means extra work and cutting going into every diaper and more time. When SO gets home tonight and I get back from the store (or perhaps when RJ finally decides to nap today!) I'm going to try it with one of his diapers I haven't finished yet of his lesser absorbancy ones and if it works well, I'm going to do the same thing for all the sizes and change my pattern. I think this will be easier than trying to do a gusset like I was originally thinking and also reduce some of the bulk on the wings that I have with the minky. I'm all excited to try it now! LOL