Cloth Diapering - Part 4

Discussion in 'Babies & Toddlers' started by gutterflower, Dec 10, 2011.

1. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I have a love-hate relationship with Joann's too, lol! I wish we had other options around here, but the only other fabric type store primarily deals with upholstery and drapery fabrics, so Joann's is my only choice unfortunately.

Our experiment last night was so-so. I had to wash sheets this morning [​IMG]. She woke up around 5:30 and came out of her room whining "I peed, I peed" The outside of the pants felt dry, but the soaker was wet and the flats were drenched. 3 cotton flats apparently isn't enough absorbency for her overnight. I think the other problem was such a short rise with the flats because of their size. Since she's a belly sleeper and the fleece pants and soaker aren't all that snug around the wasit I think she may have leaked out of the top. And with flannel sheets it just sucked it right up. Next time I may try to stagger the flats a little so I can get a higher rise. At least her sheets weren't soaked though like I'm used to, they were more just a little damp.
  2. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Ugh. What a pain.

Went to JoAnn today and bought a few pieces of anti-pill fleece. I'm excited to give these a try on the new baby. Just need to finish a few other things first...the story of my project-life. :)
  3. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I'm excited to make more for the new baby and for Olivia since only having one pair gets a little tricky with washing, lol. The nice thing though is they can be thrown in with regular wash and people actually recommend using fabric softener on them so they repel moisture even more so I was able to throw them in with her sheets this morning and not have to do a separate wash or wait for the diaper load to wash them. She really likes them though. She didn't fight me at all putting her diaper on tonight which is highly unusual and when I asked her if she liked the fleece she got a big smile on her face and said "yeah!" I guess they are as comfy as they look, lol! The little ones are a bit trickier to sew since the leg holes are so darn tiny, but they are still 100 times easier and faster than PUL diapers in my opinion. Once I get my serger for Christmas I should be able to crank them out in no time!

4. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Oooohhh...........I'm supposed to be getting a serger for Christmas too! [​IMG] What kind are you getting? SO said he was going to get me the Bernina 1300 MDC I've been drooling over. Of course he has to order it because his store is out except for the floor model. I'm surprised he said he'd get me one because he just bought me a new 32GB iPhone 4s as my Christmas present on Monday.
  5. iampam

iampam Active Member

Labby... can you make fleece sheets?
  6. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Fleece sheets would be tricky since the fleece you can get at places like Joann's is only so wide so you would end up having seams, at least for a regular sized bed. Personally, I'm not sure how I would like fleece sheets, especially the thicker anti-pill and blizzard fleece. I would think they would make you sweat a lot and since they would repel the moisture you would probably feel wet.

We used the bamboo flat with the bamboo/hemp doubler and the fleece soaker and longies last night and she was bone dry this morning so that combination is working really well. I just need to get more bamboo to make a few more flats since we need all the absorbency we can get for her overnight. I'm just praying #2 isn't as heavy of a wetter as she is! She's been asking pretty regularly to use the potty at day care and even they commented on just how much she puts out in comparison to the other kids. I swear she has a bladder the size of a full sized adult!
  7. desertgirl

desertgirl New Member

BG, RJ is getting so big! The diapers are adorable on him.

labby, love the tiny fleece soaker. Glad the fleece is working out on Olivia too!

I got the little monkey butt fleece pants. They are super cute. P wore them the other night, and then I let her wear them to school yesterday. Don't know if they worked as longies since she wanted to wear a disposable that night. The fleece seems really thin?? but that's okay since there are a billion seams in the legs and the seams arent' that thick or uncomfortable. I know the listing for the fleece said anti-pill. The pants are a bit too 'bootcut' style--for pjs I'd have preferred a tighter leg..but all in all, super cute. I'll have to get some pictures this weekend.

I bet the wool diaper I ordered is in the mailbox...I haven't wanted to check because I think it's pink and for some reason, I really, really don't want it to be pink!!! And I think it's going to be too small.
  8. labby06

labby06 Active Member

The longies I made are a bit bootcut-ish too. I thought about tapering in the legs a bit. Might do that with another pair just to try out and see which I like better.

I went out to Joann's today at lunch (boss was out and I figured it was time I treated myself to a long lunch like everyone else does daily, lol!). I wasn't all that impressed with their selection of anti-pill prints. The blizzard had more choices that I liked better but I wanted to stick with anti pill. I picked up a yard each of two different prints, and then a yard each of two different solids that both match both of the prints, so I can do a bunch of different combos. I'm hiding it in the back of my car right now because DH would kill me if he saw me bring MORE fabric into the house when he keeps bugging me to get rid of the pile I have, lol! With the 50% off sale and the additional 15% I get with my "teacher" card (since I work in education) it ended up being 19 something for all 4 yards, and I can get a TON of soakers out of 4 yards! I figure if I can sell just 2 on Etsy then my materials are covered! I plan to do some prints with the solid trim, and then do some solids with the print trim and also embroider on the butt. Probably won't get to doing any until the weekend though.
  9. BunnyGirl19

SO freaks everytime I come home with fabric too. LOL! I read on a training pants tutorial that you should use blizzard instead of antipill fleece because apparently pee goes right through antipill fleece because the fibers are apparently laid differently. I've never tried this out and I've never researched whether that is the case or not, just something I read on a fleece training pants tutorial once. As far as I knew fleece was fleece and all would be water resistant?????? I know minky is, which is why I find it so strange they use it as a lining for diapers or mama cloth.
  10. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

Yeah, the anti-pill prints were not so great at my JoAnn's either. I stuck with solids for now (turqouis blue & chocolate) and plan to alternate the colors for the leg & waist. I was able to finish the three PUL wraps I had in the works yesterday and one of the two pairs of slippers for some friends' little girls. So, looks like I might get to these soakers sooner than later! I did get two cut tonight!

Labby-did you use the NB size? The pieces look SOOO tiny!

Not sure the difference between the two BG. Some of the ones I saw on Etsy are anti-pill, so I stuck with that. I really would think Blizzard would be about the same, but who knows. Since these won't get vetted until new baby arrives, I wanted what appeared to be the standard! No experimenting here! I think my sewing machine will go into hiding once baby arrives...I didn't sew for almost 18 mos after J was born!

Finished some cute crochet hats today, too. Will post pics later.
  11. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Yes, I did the NB size. I thought the pieces looked tiny too, but once I sewed it together it looked a bit bigger. Remember the waistband will add to the rise of it. I think that's what threw me for a loop at first. I did read a lot of people saying that the pattern runs small, but I did a large for Olivia and it was fine, especially with her huge butt. I may use the waist of the medium though for the next one for her because it is a bit big there. She's very long though, so I need the rise of the large, but the waist of the medium.

I had a hard time telling the difference between the anti-pill and the blizzard too. I had to actually look at the labels on the bolts. They seemed to be about the same thickness. I stuck with the anti-pill for pretty much the same reason as HWG. I think the stuff I had left over that I used for the ones I already made is anti-pill and it has been working fine.
  12. labby06

labby06 Active Member

I had some time when I got home from the dr this afternoon before I had to go get Olivia so I quick sewed up another pair of longies and another soaker for her. I figured out what I did wrong in the waist of the last pair of longies to make them so big. I used her actual waist measurement for the waistband instead of taking the stretch of the fleece into consideration and making it a bit smaller. This time I cut a couple of inches off of her waist measurement for the waistband and they fit much better. Here are some pics. For some reason the trim colors turned out a lot lighter than they really are in the pictures. The green trim on the soaker matches the elephant in the print and the blue trim on the longies matches the blue in the print.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

So cute, labby! I love the prints you found. I found nothing remotely cute like that for boys.

I finished a soaker today. Came out pretty good, though I had some trouble lining up the seems on the legs. Question, did you close the body of the soaker and then add the leg cuffs, or add the cuffs before closing? I only ask because those tiny little cuffs on the newborn size were really tough to set-in once the body was closed.
  14. labby06

labby06 Active Member

Yes, I closed the body first and then put on the leg cuffs. It was a bit of a pain to sew on the NB one. I'm not sure how you sewed them, but I found it easiest to turn the soaker inside out and sew them with the leg cuff on the inside of the soaker.

Where did you put the leg casing seams? On the first two I made I tried to line them up with the side seams of the body, but they don't really line up at all. On the elephant one I put the seams at the bottom, so they are on the inner side of her thighs so you don't even see them when it is on which I think I like better. Not like it matters though since they are covered up anyway, lol!
  15. labby06

labby06 Active Member

So here is my latest totally screwed up soaker, lol! This one was trouble from the get-go. I guess that's what happens when you hurry to get something done during nap time, lol! First, I started to embroider the wrong end of the soaker, oops. So I tore that out (which is a HUGE PITA) and started over on the backside. Got the embroidery finished when someone decided to wake up and sit on my lap to "help." So I sewed in the extra soaker layer to cover the embroidery with a 2 year old on my lap. Didn't go so well, lol! There are lots of skipped stitches, it's not centered, and I didn't have it lined up right so the stitching went right through the top of Minnie's bow. Then I must not have been paying attention when cutting the leg cuffs because the one is thinner than the other and of course I didn't notice until it was all together. I'm too lazy to tear it out and do it again right now, so we'll just have to live with it the way it is for now, lol!

[​IMG]
  16. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

Super cute, labby! I think they look great, not screwed up at all!

Well, I need yarn! What a better place to ask than the cloth diaper thread? lol
    I want to crochet this beautiful blanket, but getting the right color yarns at the right weight added up to over $200. [​IMG] Crazy!
    Does anyone know where to get wool online? It needs to be worsted or aran weight and preferably with a wide range of colors.

Oh, I croched a little landscape for H the other day. It turned out very cute, and I didn't use a pattern or anything. I'm really getting the hang of this. [​IMG]
    I'm thinking of doing a sea version too. Here it is:
    [​IMG]

17. KawaiiNot

KawaiiNot Active Member

And here is the blanket, isn't it lovely? Crochet is NOT frumpy! lol
    [​IMG]
  18. BunnyGirl19

Herrschners?

And that blanket looks very beachy!
  19. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

How cute, Kawaii! Both the landscape and the blanket pattern! I love them!! I would love some landscapes like that for the boys' room! Have you checked JoAnn.com? I am not sure what their online supply is, but they had a TON of wool yarn in the store the other day...way more selection than usual.

Labby-the soaker looks great to me! But I hear ya-sometimes projects are just doomed from the start when trying to rush!! I have thrown away/started over many a time because I got in a hurry (usually naptime also :)).

Few pics of my latest projects to follow:
  20. HWG#2

HWG#2 New Member

[​IMG]
    Some hats for little man.

[​IMG]
    A pair of slippers for a friend's daughter (Third pair I have made! These are popular!)

[​IMG]
    My newborn soakers.
    And yes, labby, I was trying to line them up with the side-seam as well...worked sometimes but not others...the fabric just gets so thick right there. My second pair went smoother than the first in setting in the legs...I was working upside down the first time :).