Creme Brulee

Discussion in 'Aphrodite's Kitchen' started by darkeyedgirl, Dec 3, 2007.

1. darkeyedgirl

darkeyedgirl New Member

Does anyone here have a good creme brulee recipe? Any with fruit?
  2. enough_already

enough_already New Member

I have the basic creme brulee recipe, which is all you need. You can toss some strawberries on top, if you want.

You don't want to get too fancy with creme brulee. It's one of those desserts where less is more.

PS: to make it right, you have to know how to use a blow-torch. But you say you're good with the man's work, right?
  3. darkeyedgirl

darkeyedgirl New Member

LOL I'm sure a grill lighter is good enough.

I wanted a nice recipe because all the ones I've seen on the net don't look too tasty and I've had it before and I know it's good.

I had one with strawberries, so that's what I'd be looking for anyway.

4. enough_already

What's not tasty about egg yolks, cream and sugar? Creme brulee is just custard with the Maillard shell on top. But it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

I say, don't mess with a good thing. I like to garnish basic creme brulee with one fresh mint leaf and a strawberry. That's about it. Less is more.

I've never tried chocolate creme brulee, though. I might try to make that next time, just to see what it's like.
  5. incognito

incognito New Member

Oh my. EA is right, it's blow torch or nothing to get the perfect caramelization on the top of your creme brulee. You can use the broiler in the oven too, but it doesn't come out as nicely.
  6. darkeyedgirl

darkeyedgirl New Member

I'd like the chocolate one maybe, but since I have to keep others in mind . . . I might have to stick with the basics.

I don't have access to a blow torch so it's grill lighter or nothing. [​IMG]

Wait, does it come with a creme brulee kit?
  7. incognito

incognito New Member

8. darkeyedgirl

darkeyedgirl New Member

Hmm, all this talk is starting to make me hungry.

I'm supposed to go out Christmas shopping soon so maybe I can find a kit somewhere.
  9. enough_already

Well, you can buy one of the cutesy kitchen torches, but they don't last long and are expensive. Blowtorches are inexpensive and if you're not using it to make creme brulee, it melts plumbing solder better than any cutesy kitchen torch will.

Besides, I've worked in a few fancy restaurants in my day and the chefs who made the finest desserts didn't mess around with cutesy kitchen torches. If a real blowtorch was good enough for those fine men and women, then one's good enough for me. I think a blowtorch from the hardware store will cost you about $12 while a cutesy kitchen torch will cost about $25. The blowtorch will do the same job better and faster.

That's a great recipe.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013