Death of Mrs.

Discussion in 'Beyond Women's Health' started by BethG, May 30, 2008.

1. Tempting Toffee

Tempting Toffee Active Member

I'll be Jennifer Challinor if we get married....not sure if I like it or not hehe. It's gotta ring to it [​IMG]

I wouldn't mind being a Mrs. To me it's just saying you're married not 'losing' your identity.
  2. wyme

wyme New Member

Yes, I definitely think it is. I've never been comfortable with it, either hearing it or using it for someone else.

If/when the man & I marry, I'll take his last name. But I'll still cringe internally if someone calls me "Mrs. B". Well, except for him maybe [​IMG]

Many of my customers are home schoolers, and big on teaching their children "respect" - which meant referring to me by "Mrs". The kids are around a lot during the summer, some of them will spend a day with me now and again. I have ended up having "the talk" with several of the parents - even before the "Mrs" part went away. To me, "respect" is honoring someone's wishes, and I prefer to be called by my first name. Most of the kiddos now call me by my first name. One family's kiddos call me "Miss wyme", which is a compromise I can live with. Although it makes me want to check the mirror and see if my hair is turning blue!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  3. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

That's the best kept secret, then, isn't it?

Glad you're broadcasting this strategy. It could save lots of people lots of money!

4. GreenTea

Yes, it's a very hot topic!

My thoughts exactly.
  5. ChooseToBe

ChooseToBe New Member

Its all detailed in a book from Nolo Press called "How to Change Your Name." They also have an excellent book on adopting your stepchildren, which I used, too. Again, no attorney, no fees.

I'm big into do-it-yourself.
  6. Jessucka

Jessucka New Member

I wouldn't mind being Mrs. Jessica "so and so." But I dont really think I'd like to be Mrs. Buck "so and so." Yes, my name is Jessica and his is Buck. I can be open about that b/c my myspace page would even tell you that.
  7. GreenTea

I'm not sure if this has changed... but my mom got her masters degree at Harvard, and to this day gets the Harvard alumni magazine. The whole time I was growing up, it came addressed to Mrs. my dad's name (first and last). Not her first name, her married name. They wouldn't change that despite complaints.
  8. New_Explorer

New_Explorer New Member

The only time I think I've ever been "Mrs. Myhusband'sname" is on a wedding invite.

It has a very formal tone to it nowadays, which is okay I guess when it's on a piece of paper that is trying to be "Something Special", but if I was actually CALLED that when I got to the wedding?? No go.
  9. MNM

MNM New Member

You know I never asked her, I believe she said she was now required for her name on her licence to match her SS#. So I'm not sure if they gave her a new number or now just associate her new name with the old number...
  10. Jessucka

Jessucka New Member

You have the same ss# all of your life. The name should be the only thing that changes. Unless you have fake ideas or are in a witness protection plan.
  11. kellybean

kellybean New Member

When I was married I was never referred to as Mrs. KB. I never signed anything as Mrs. and none of our bills came as Mr. & Mrs.

I look forward to being a Mrs. again. Especially if it's Mrs. Hot Ponytail Man [​IMG]

My married name would sound like a stripper name tho...which I guess I don't mind so much. [​IMG]
  12. GreenTea

This is interesting, in light of this discussion: I recently saw a newspaper op ed about the U.S. presidential candidates. It referred to "Mr. McCain, Mr. Obama, and Mrs. Clinton."
  13. GreenTea

Lots of people do have fake ideas, don't they? Especially long winded professors.

Sorry, couldn't resist... not making fun of you. [​IMG]