Essure procedure for ovarian cyst treatment

Discussion in 'Permanent Contraception' started by dmedflame, Feb 25, 2010.

1. dmedflame

dmedflame New Member

My girlfriend and I are nearing 50 , she has 3 ovarian cysts one of which is about the size of a golf ball right now ... her doctor has recommended the essure procedure as a first step in treatment while observing the cysts growth ... I've been reading up on essure and on ovarian cysts and am not sure how or if the essure procedure will help ... has anyone heard of this being done for this reason before?
  2. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

im going to move this topic to the essure subforum where it belongs [​IMG]
  3. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

I have NEVER heard of this before and I work in a medical profession where I would have run across this if it was something commonly done. Knowing what the Essure procedure is and what is involved, I don't see how it would treat an ovarian cyst as all it essentially does is obstructs the tube and causes scar tissue growth (assuming the procedure is without complications). Ovarian cysts have a few standard treatments options. You can surgically remove the ovary if the cyst is quite large and causing pain or is not one of the common benign types. You can treat it by taking birth control pills or other hormonal regimen that suppresses ovulation and other reproductive system function, which will cause the cyst to shrink on its own. You can have it drained either laparoscopically or transvaginally with the option of local methotrexate injection into the cyst cavity or not as well as the option of laser ablation to the area of the cyst to prevent the cyst from reforming in that area.

What I can't understand, considering she has one cyst that is quite enlarged already, is why they are not doing something more aggressive in treating it and instead just want to watch to see what happens. That doesn't make any sense. It also makes no sense to me that if she is near 50 years old that they would feel it necessary to do a tubal sterilization procedure at all. I highly recommend seeking another opinion as she requires actual treatment of the cyst, not some other treatment altogether that is unrelated to the problem of fixing it!!!!

She should have the cysts drained, either surgically or transvaginally, and then potentially a hormonal regimen to prevent more from forming while she heals. Or she should have the ovary removed.

I had an ovarian cyst problem and my cyst was quite large. I opted for the transvaginal drainage only with removal of 48 mL of fluid and blood from the cyst. Mine had gotten so large that it would actually leak fluid out into my abdominal cavity when it would enlarge around the time of ovulation. Fortunately I didn't suffer a rupture, which would have been the more likely outcome than just leakage. In any case, I have not had any recurrent cyst formation, although I do have the occasional delayed or poor quality ovulation if a follicle develops in the damaged area of my ovary.
  4. kym4

kym4 Member

Essure is not used to treat ovarian cysts. It is used for permanent birth control. There is no medical data nor does it even make sense that the essure metal coils would help with ovarian cysts. I'd think seriously about why the doctor would be suggesting such a procedure on a woman especially at 50 years old. Technically if you still have a period you could get pregnant but your chances are about the same with the essure metal coils. Do some research on fertility rates for women your age. Just something else to think about--There is evidence that the maker of the metal coils is offering huge incentives to the doctors if they will perform a certain amount of the procedures per year. I feel that I was a victim of a doctor needing a patient to practice on or he needed to fill his quota.
  5. dmedflame

dmedflame New Member

The doctor says that the purpose of him doing the essure procedure is so that maybe what ever is feeding the ovarian cysts may be coming from the fallopian tubes and by blocking it , it might help decrease the chances of more cysts and decreasing the existing ones ... whether this is true I don't know ... but from what I've researched it doesnt' look like it ... Thank you for your feedback ... We will get more opinions

6. kym4

kym4 Member

The fallopian tubes do not cause the ovarian cysts. Usually it has more to do with hormonal levels. I would seek other opinions and do some research on post tubal ligation syndrome. I have read that one of problems that occurs with pstl is ovarian cysts due to blocking the tubes. I'm sorry but the logic that your doctor is using does not sound legit. There is absolutely no clinical data to suggest that placing metal coils into your fallopian tubes will help with cysts. It also could be that your insurance company will decide not to pay for the procedure if your doctor using the procedure as an off label procedure. Off label use is when a doctor uses a product for reasons other than what the FDA instructions for use are. My insurance company kicked my procedure back. I'd be real cautious and read the posts on here and on womens-health forum. There are alot of things that can go wrong with the metal coils.
  7. ticalinda

ticalinda New Member

Dmedflame, i dont know if thats the right option. I never had issues with cysts before and since i had the procedure done i know have several cysts on my right ovary - some rupturing; and a couple on my left.
    I dont think this prodecure helps with treatment of ovarian cysts
  8. Holland

Holland New Member

If I were having health problems, the last thing I would do is get Essure. That product nearly ruined my life.
  9. BunnyGirl19

BunnyGirl19 Super Moderator Staff Member

Ovarian cysts are caused by hormonal changes in your menstrual cycle. They usually form during the maturing of the follicle leading up to ovulation. The cysts are a result of the egg not releasing or partially releasing from the follicle, residual follicular fluid that becomes trapped, or eggs that are unable to release and ovulate. These things happen independent of your tubes.