hot tubs during early pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kaya, May 23, 2006.

1. kaya

kaya New Member

Hi everyone, just curious if anyone has any opinions regarding the use of hot tubs when you are newly pregnant? how long can you stay in before your body temperature rises too high? I'm going on a spa trip with some friends and don't want them to know that I'm pregnant!
  2. youngmommy84

youngmommy84 New Member

i was told not to use hot tubs during pregnancy. they are to hot and will raise your body temp to 102 in about 10 minutes. a temp above 102 can cause problems in a developing fetus,especially during the first trimester.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Best to just avoid hot tubs in general! It's not worth the risk!
  4. kaya

kaya New Member

what about saunas?
  5. mamacita

mamacita New Member

If hot tubs aren't ok, I'm sure saunas aren't advisable either.
  6. bellyache

bellyache New Member

Hot tubs and saunas are very bad in pregnancy. It is a major NO NO!

7. amber1

amber1 New Member

8. amber1

amber1 New Member

9. amber1

amber1 New Member

10. D 4 A

D 4 A New Member

What about normal bath? Whats a hot tub
  11. claire

claire New Member

A definate NO NO for all saunas, steam rooms and hot tubs is what i was told at the start of pregnancy - best to aviod, and not worth taking any risks xx
  12. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

I took hot baths throughout my pregnancy, but don't know the temp difference with hot tub.
  13. BethG

BethG New Member

Have you heard of a jacuzzi? Or maybe a whirlpool bath? Imagine a big round mini-pool (or huge bathtub) of hot water, with underwater jets. Ahhhhh, relaxing!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  14. snowfall

snowfall New Member

Is it okay if you just stick your feet/legs in? I was on a trip this weekend and sat on the side of the hot tub with my legs in it. I usually don't like hot tubs because once the water gets above my stomach, I can't breath...anyways...I was pretty chilly up top so I think I was okay...
  15. maryberry

maryberry New Member

Hot tubs can cause hyperthermia, which is an abnormally high body temperature.

What is the concern with hot tubs during pregnancy?
    A body temperature of 101 DEGREES F and above can raise concerns during pregnancy. Some studies have shown an increased risk of birth defects in babies of women who had an increased body temperature during the first trimester of pregnancy.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) states that becoming overheated in a hot tub is not recommended during pregnancy. ACOG also recommends that pregnant women never let their core body temperature rise above 102.2 DEGREES F.

Hot tubs are often factory programmed to maintain a water temperature of approximately 104 DEGREES F. It takes only 10-20 minutes in a hot tub to raise your body temperature to 102 DEGREES F or higher. To maintain a steady temperature, water is circulated and re-circulated through the hot tub to pump out cold water and pump in hot water.

So, is a hot bath safer than using a hot tub?
    A hot bath, which is not uncomfortable or scalding, is a safer way to relax. In a bath much of your upper body will remain out of the water, making you less likely to overheat. Additionally, the water in a bath begins to cool off, as opposed to a hot tub, further reducing any risk of overheating.
  16. Bron

Bron New Member

A normal bath is fine - even if its run quite hot cause by the time your temperature would rise a degree the bath water has usually cooled down. Its the rise in body temperature that is dangerous - which is also why getting a fever early in pregnancy can be dangerous. (If you exercise too hard does your body temperature rise too and if so by how much - I think your body temp has to go over about 38 degrees celcius for it to be dangerous.)

17. Muffina

Muffina New Member

I exercised outside on a hot day during my first trimester and when I started to overheat my body let me know right away to stop and cool off. I got dizzy and threw up and my fingers swelled up.
  18. D 4 A

D 4 A New Member

Im like Muffina, I even over heated yesterday while doing housework and I nearly passed out. I had to sit down. Actually my body sat me down lol. My legs went a bit jelly fied. Then I was sick twice. I think the body has defence mechanisms. Gosh I cant wait to use a jacuzzi though, so relaxing! Last year on hols I was a bit naughty and added aromatherapy oil to the jaccuzi/hot tub. Everyone was just laying in total relaxation in heaven! It was manderine and lavender pure essential oil. LOL! I got told off by the hotel staff! Oh well [​IMG]

Speaking of high temps I had implantation flu, but I did take paracetamol for the fever so I hope Im OK. I was just under 4 weeks pregnant and due on my period in a day or two. I thought Id miscarry or something as I was so ill but I didnt. I have had a scan and seen the baby and the sonographer said everythings normal so far. Gosh it is a worry though. Everythings a worry!