Orgasms and Boy vs. Girl ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by BethG, Jun 6, 2009.

1. BethG

BethG New Member

This wasn't on 24P's Old Wives Tale thread so I thought I'd see how it played out for you already pregnant ladies.

I guess it's the Shettles Method that says if you want a boy, have an orgasm. If you want a girl, avoid orgasm.

So from what you remember, is this true?
  2. gutterflower

gutterflower Active Member

Beth I truly don't remember. I just remember that when we conceived Audrey, DF was on top and when we conceived our baby boy, I was on top.
  3. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

i Oed both times, both girls [​IMG]
  4. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

Since I've never conceived, I can't say from experience... but this sounds like a "boys are better" old wives tale. Sounds like another of those superstitions that tell you a baby girl is "punishment" for doing something "wrong."
  5. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

lol, guess i proved that wrong [​IMG]

6. BethG

BethG New Member

GreenTea, this is supposedly scientific, but yeah, you might be right! Just thought it'd be fun to see if if it's true or false for the ladies with babies already or who know the gender of their babies-to-be.

So far, 24P has proven it wrong -- TWICE! lol.
  7. eve07

eve07 New Member

i don't remember for baby #1, which was a boy. but for baby #2, i O'd and it is a girl!

chinese calender was accurate for me for old wives tale version of determining sex...
  8. Penguin-Goon

Penguin-Goon New Member

hmm i think the chinese calender was right for me both times too, but id have to look again to be sure [​IMG]
  9. BethG

BethG New Member

lol, so far it's wrong THREE times!
  10. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

Ooh, I've read the whole Shettles Method book!! Not because we were trying to sway gender, just because I bought it for a friend (who does want to try to sway gender for her third) and read most of it. The science geek in me is just fascinated by it.

There's obviously a lot more to Shettles than just orgasm or not... Diet (alkaline favors boys, acidic favors girls b/c boy sperm can't hack the acidic environment as well), Timing (right at O favors boy sperm, which are quicker), Orgasm (helps with vaginal pH for the boys), etc.

I ate an alkaline diet leading up to O, to improve my CM in general (for either freaking gender, lol!!). I was out of town all week until the day before O. We BD three days in a row, and I'm not sure I climaxed all three times, but surely at least one or two of them (I think the last one was a quickie!).

All three were boy methods, even though I didn't intend it that way. And, well, you've seen the update about that!...

BUT, I actually still think Shettles has a lot of merit (the differences in male/female sperm that it is couched around have been established scientifically), and really you have to try all the components, not just one like orgasm. And even then it doesn't claim to be 100%. They make it very clear in their book that the methods alter the odds away from 50/50, but they don't change them to 100/0. So, there where always be cases where it "doesn't work." I think they quote (from tons of anecdotal stories summarized in the book, NOT - by their own admission - from controlled research) you can sway the chance of a boy (easier than swaying for a girl) to about 70-80% or so.

Even my additional story doesn't "prove" anything wrong (nor would a thread of orgasm=boy stories prove it right!). Sample size, people, LOL! [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  11. nessa26

nessa26 New Member

I was on top for all three times we BD'd (DH was tired and kinda lazy [​IMG]. I do not believe I orgasmed. Hehehe. I do know that boy sperm swim faster but die quicker. Girl sperm swim slower but live longer!! Hah, little stinkers!!
  12. erin321

erin321 New Member

DH and I bed I *think* 5 days around O. 2 days before, the day of, and 2 days after. O was confusing me that month. Stinkin OPK's! In any case, I'm pretty sure I climaxed all of those times but can't completely remember. I have heard that boy sperm swim faster, but also die faster than girl sperm and I've also heard that the girl sperm are better equipped when it comes to the acidic environment. I dunno. What I find interesting... and yes, this is based purely on people I know personally, or know stories from, not at all an accurate test group, lol, but that people who have IUI/IVF tend to have a higher percentage of boys.

The chinese calender predicted girl for me as well. As did the "ring/string test". I found an entire book on old wives tales while I was pregnant and before I knew what I was having and it's crazy how many of them there are. One of them even included something about the blood vessels in your eyes. Crazy.
  13. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

Maybe that explains the study that showed vegetarians having a higher ratio of daughters to sons. It was done in Britain, probably 10-20 years ago, a very extensive study comparing women who were vegetarians and women who ate meat, following them through pregnancy and early motherhood, and it was meant to see what effects a vegetarian diet versus a meat eating diet might have on the mother and the baby. While the researchers weren't specifically looking at the babies' genders, they did note that, and found that, while meat eating women had 106 boys for every 100 girls, vegetarian women had 82 boys for every 100 girls. Huge difference.

Perhaps vegetarians eat more acidic food? More vitamin C, for sure, more vegetables across the board than a typical meat eater.

Orthodox Jewish families tend to have more sons than daughters--and one of their religious rules is for couples to abstain from sex from when the woman's menstrual period starts until seven days after it ends. That would mean that most of them are having sex right at O. Makes sense.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  14. MyrtleWarbler

MyrtleWarbler Super Moderator Staff Member

Well GT, that is very interesting. See, the pH of diet isn't as intuitive as you would think. It isn't about the pH of the food itself, but the pH created as the body processes it. One of the most "alkaline-creating" foods is lemons!! Lemon water is very alkalizing, and thus very good for you in general. Google "alkaline food list" or similar, and you'll see! Really a vegetarian diet would probably be alkaline overall (though not all veggies are alkalizing)... Tofu (fermented) is alkalizing, but soy beans and other beans are acid forming! It would really depend on the individual's food choices. Our modern diet, with all its meat and processed food, definitely creates a more acidic environment overall. Not good for you. So actually those results are still not easily intepreted, from a Shettles standpoint, though I would guess that most vegetarian diets lean "alkaline" (thus lean "boy"!). And, I do have two vegetarian friends with two sons each (but that's no sample size!!).

I think the timing thing only really applies if you are VERY strict. To sway for a boy, Shettles calls for having sex once and only once, 12 hours after an OPK (if you are using those to pinpoint). For a girl, you are to stop having sex about three days before O. So, even though our timing was definitely more "boy-like" - not strictly so.

Swaying for gender is ethically touchy. The Shettles book also acknowledges that, and says it is absolutely not OK to use their methods unless you would be truly fine with either gender. But as a biologist, I think it's fascinating.