Recipe exchange?

Discussion in 'Aphrodite's Kitchen' started by Myste, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Myste

Myste New Member

Hey, I don't know about you all, but I know I get a little tired of the same old recipes all the time for dinner. While there's tons of recipe sites and stuff, I love sharing awesome recipes I've found & tried, and how I've customized them to make them even better! Plus I find it fun to try new foods I normally wouldn't.

Also - Do any of you plan out your meals on a weekly/monthly basis? How often do you do grocery shopping? Do you get your family involved in the planning?

For me, I plan my week's meals on Sunday and do grocery shopping monday mornings. - easier to limit my budget and less "impulse" buys, or having to run out to the store and grab something I need if I suddenly decide to make something I don't have all ingredients on hand for. Most of the time I plan by myself, but once a month I'll ask both dad and BF to find me at least 2 recipes for me to make that month.

Here's one BF found for me last week and it was AMAZINGLY good.

Philly Cheese-steak Salad
    Salad
    2 philly cheese steaks, cheese steak beef burgers (in the freezer section - the ones I got were called Steak-umms)*
    1/2 medium onion, sliced into rings
    1 cup button mushrooms, sliced ( I used a small can of stems & pieces)
    1 teaspoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
    1/2 cup monterey jack cheese or monterey jack pepper cheese, grated (I used pepper jack)
    4 cups romaine lettuce, shredded (Personally I detest most lettuce, but I found a prepackaged blend of butter lettuces I do like, and used that.)
    1 large tomato, chopped (optional)(Not optional for me, I LOVE tomatoes!)

Dressing
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons milk
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 tablespoon Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1/2 teaspoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning (**)

1. In a small bowl mix all the dressing ingridients and refrigerate until needed but at least 3 hours ahead is best.
    2. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
    3. Add the first 4 ingridients, and cook until beef has browned.
    4. On a large serving platter, spread out the lettuce. (I just did two plates
    5. Top with the browned meat mixture, tomatoes, cheese, then dressing, and serve.
    6. *If you can't find this just use thinly sliced steak or ground beef

As I generally have to cook dinner twice every day (once for my dad in the evening, once when BF gets home from swing shift) I ended up omitting the seasoning from the meat/onion mixture the first time on accident, but added it the second time. I think I actually liked it better without the extra seasoning! It's not spicy at all even with the full seasoning.
  2. why

why New Member

Sounds delish!!! We also have another post under "general health" with "healthy recipe" please post some for us!!!
  3. kellybean

kellybean New Member

Sounds very good, I could post some goodie/favorites....but they certainly are not healthy! [​IMG]
  4. New_Explorer

New_Explorer New Member

Here's one of my favorite "comfort food" casseroles. I modified it from the original and shaved many calories off using turkey and lowfat cheese.

Taco Bake

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
    1 lb ground turkey
    1 small onion, chopped
    3/4 cup water
    1 1/4 ounce taco seasoning
    15 ounce tomato sauce
    8 ounce shell macaroni
    2 cups shredded lowfat cheddar cheese

Directions
    In a skillet, brown ground beef and onion over medium heat; drain. Add the water, taco seasoning and tomato sauce; mix. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in macaroni and 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Pour into a greasted 1 1/4 qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.