Retroverted (tipped) uterus and surgery (Uplift)

Discussion in 'Reproductive Health' started by endless, Sep 13, 2007.

1. endless

endless New Member

Has anyone had the Uplift/uterine suspension surgery to take care of a retroverted uterus? If so, can you describe the experience in detail, including what the recovery process was like? Thanks in advance.
  2. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Hi endless,

I haven't had the surgery or even looked into it, but I did find out that I have a retroverted uterus through some other tests I had. I was told that it wasn't anything to worry about, though, so it's been left at that.

I hope you are okay and get the answers you're looking for!
  3. Peppermint

Peppermint New Member

I have a tipped uterus--I don't know how bad it is--but it hasn't been a problem for me. My gynecologist didn't even say it would be a problem.

4. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Oh, and I did find out from googling this topic that if you're ttc, the typically good baby-making positions are sometimes not good if you have a tipped uterus. Woman-on-top or lying on your stomach after sex with a pillow under your hips *might* be better for women with a retroverted uterus trying to conceive. I thought it was interesting!

Can I ask, endless, why are you considering the surgery? I would be interested to hear if you don't mind sharing.
  5. endless

endless New Member

My doctor informed me that, during my recent Essure procedure (permanent sterilization), which was only able to be half completed due to him not being able to get one of my tubes done, he discovered that I have a retroverted uterus. We are thinking that this may be the cause of a lifetime of discomfort during certain "levels" of penetration--none of which have I even thought were problematic until this new diagnosis. I always just thought that I had a shallow cervix, and that penetration, beyond a certain point, was painful because it was just how my body naturally responded! I have always enjoyed sex thoroughly, experienced wonderful orgasms, and "trained" myself to remove myself from the discomfort, so I have never in all my life even thought to bring up the sensation to my doctors.

To my amazement, this new diagnosis may be the reason for me NOT NEEDING to have experienced that all this time. He is sending me to an additional gynocologist who specializes in uterine suspension, so that this doctor can determine if, indeed, the retroversion is as problematic as I think. If it is, I will be having the uterine suspension surgery at the same time that my other doctor performs my second surgery to fix the "unfixed" tube, which he will just surgically cut since I'll end up being cut open now, anyway. Hence, my questions about the details of the surgery and the recovery.
  6. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Endless, that makes a lot of sense, thanks for sharing! That's really intersting for me to hear because there are certain "normal" positions I just don't enjoy b/c I can feel uncomfortable pressure on my cervix. I thought maybe I was too small or he was just really big [​IMG] We've found positions that work really well for both of us, so I am more than content (especially since I quit BCP, sex is even more enjoyable ... but that's a different story!!).

Makes sense to have the suspension surgery especially since you're going to take care of the other tube - I wish you all the best and I hope it makes things even more enjoyable! Good luck.
  7. Peppermint

Peppermint New Member

Yeah, good luck!!
  8. claire

claire New Member

I have a tilted uterus too - never felt any pain though. Quite interesting tale though
  9. dee

dee Active Member

Can I ask which positions you find uncomfortable? If you'd rather not say I understand. I'm curious as to whether it might be something I have, although it isn't always so maybe it doesn't count...
  10. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I don't mind sharing ... for me, having him on top is usually uncomfortable, though sometimes it works. When I'm on top, I am MUCH more comfortable and will orgasm in this position much more easily than with him on top.

I am assuming that has to do with my retroverted uterus, but I could be wrong, perhaps that's just a coincidence?
  11. dee

dee Active Member

Ahh, hmm, same as me then. Interesting... I just thought it was how I prefered it, never thought it might be a physical thing. Well, obviously it's physical, but I assumed it was a personal preference in pleasure rather than a reason. Does that make any sense?
  12. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Yes, it totally makes sense! I started to realize this could be connected when I googled ttc and retroverted uterus. I had been trying to make sure to do man-on-top when BD-ing at the fertile time because I thought that was better, but with a tilted uterus, what felt right (me on top) may actually be BETTER for ttc. Now I lay on my stomach with a pillow under hips after BD. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I figure it's always worth a shot!
  13. Peppermint

Peppermint New Member

I must have a slight tip, because him being on top doesn't really bother me. Just when he accidently hits my cervix. It's interesting to think that the uterus can be in different positions.

And....I was on top when we conceived this current child. I didn't even think about that until now. Hmm...
  14. Peppermint

Peppermint New Member

Well, there is another thing. I tend to FEEL the baby kick my back or towards my butt, as well as my stomach. I don't know if that has anything to do with a tipped uterus or not. I might have to ask the pregnant ladies where they feel movement.
  15. Tempting Toffee

Tempting Toffee Active Member

I join the club [​IMG]

Found out yesterday!

I don't have pain with intercourse either. But it can hit the cervix-i thought that was with most women though?

Does anyone here have irregular periods/ovulation as well? any infertility conditions? I have irregular periods/ovulation. And I've read that if you have those as well as a wonky uterus then it can be due to something such as endo? My mum had endo.
  16. Peppermint

Peppermint New Member

Yeah, actually tipped uteruses are associated with irregular cycles and endo. Amazingly I haven't had these problems--as of yet. Maybe it is tipped ever so slightly for me. A tipped uterus does not cause any problems in pregnancy either. Just thought you would like to know that.

17. desertgirl

desertgirl New Member

When I had my IUD inserted, I was told I have a tilted uterus. I'm not sure what that means, or if it's the same as a "tipped" uterus. I've never had any problems with my cycles. Possible tmi ahead...I do know that if I completely relax my vaginal muscles when having sex, he bangs into my cervix HARD and it really hurts for a second or two...um, this seems to happen most during missionary and doggie style.
  18. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Yes, desertgirl, tipped, tilted, retroverted, it is all the same thing. And what you're describing sounds similar to what I've found as well - missionary is NOT the best position for me!

Peppermint, that's interesting that a tipped uterus is associated with endo and irregular cycles, I didn't know that. I do have regular cycles, thankfully, but it looks as though I might have mild endo. There are large growths/cysts in both my ovaries and the last test (MRI) indicated that they were endometrias. It also said that I don't have endo anywhere else.

Interesting stuff, even though I can't figure out why the way your uterus sits would increase the chance of endo???
  19. claire

claire New Member

i have a tilted uterus and had very irregular periods. i have been told it wont cause me any probs during pregnancy or childbirth.
  20. Tempting Toffee

Tempting Toffee Active Member

[​IMG]

I now have a wonderful scanner hehe-well its a cheap all in one printer. And I thought I'd put pics of my wonky womb up :p