Splenda

Discussion in 'Aphrodite's Kitchen' started by Jessucka, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Jessucka

Jessucka New Member

So we've been doing some berry picking lately and I have plans for pies and jams.

I know that Splenda claims that it measures cup for cup to sugar, but if you've ever subbed a recipe that calls for sugar with splenda, you'll know that Splenda is way too sweet.

So I have recipe that calls for 4 cups of sugar, should I use 4 cups of Splenda or 3 1/2 or just 3, etc? I dont want ti to be too sweet or not sweet enough. I just hate to guess.

I was hoping someone has experience?
  2. Absy

Absy New Member

Hey Jess...

No experience persay, but if no one can give you better Splenda measurements, I would suggest adding 2 cups of splenda and tasting to see what you think...if it's not enough, try increments of a 1/2 cup until you find what you think tastes best.

Sounds yummy, what kind of pie and jam?!
  3. Tarsia

Tarsia New Member

I've encountered Splenda in a few things.. always tasted fine. But I don't know what ratio-to-regular-sugar they used either. Absy's idea sounds good though. [​IMG]

4. New_Explorer

New_Explorer New Member

go to www.weightwatchers.com and sign up to their forums and ask there. I'll bet those ladies have a lot of experience.
  5. Jessucka

Jessucka New Member

The box always says that it measures the same as sugar. But if you have a recipe that calls for 1 cup of sugar and you use 1 cup of Splenda, it's waay sweeter tasting than the sugar would have been. Ugh.

We went blueberry picking and we came home with a ton of blueberries and we're going black berry picking this weekend.

I made homemade blueberry jam last night, but the recipe I used said not to use a sugar sub or else it would ruin the recipe. Now my poor boyfriend can't have any. So, i'm giving this batch away and im going to use a diff recipe for him.

Im also making blueberry pie tonight! [​IMG]

This is the first time i've ever tried to bake with Splenda.

But if anyone knows any good recipes that can be subbed with Splenda, let me know. I checked out the Splenda site, but I didnt really find any recipes I wanted. I did peek at the weightwatchers and I will check into that more later.
  6. Myste

Myste New Member

I think I remember something about not using splenda/sugar subs when canning/preserving as it changes something, I'll have to see if I can dig up the info.

Ahh, here we go. http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Canning/canning-Splenda.html

You might try using fruit juice or Agave nectar/syrup for sweetening instead.
  7. GreenTea

GreenTea Super Moderator Staff Member

To me, Splenda tastes twice as sweet as sugar, so I'd use only half as much. But the only thing I've ever put it in is coffee.