Tiramesu Recipe

Discussion in 'Aphrodite's Kitchen' started by kellybean, Jan 25, 2007.

1. kellybean

kellybean New Member

OK, I slaughtered the spelling of that!!

Anyone have a good recipe?

I've never made it before and it's BF's bday on Sat. It's expensive if I buy it, and I've never made it.

Thanks!
  2. artemiss

artemiss New Member

Classic Tiramisu

6 egg yolks
    1 1/4 C Sugar
    1 1/4 c(10oz)mascarpone cheese, room temp*
    1 /3/4 heavy (whipping) cream
    2 3 oz. pkg lady fingers
    1/3 c coffee liquer (2 tiny bottles of starbucks or kalhua is best imo)
    Sweetened whipped cream**
    unsweetened cocoa powder

combine egg yolks and sugar and whip until lemon colored (about 1 min)Place in top of a double boiler over boiling water.
    Reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 mins, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add mascarpone cheese, beating well. Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in to egg yolk mixture; set aside.
    Line a deep trifle dish or 3qt bowl with lady finger halves. Brush with coffee liqueur. Spoon half of egg yolk cream into ladyfinger lined dish. Repeat ladyfingers, liqueur and cream layers. Top with sweetened whipped cream, and dust top with cocoa powder.
    Cover and refrigerate overnight.

*I have only used this soft Italian cheese in mine..pricey but worth it. In theory one can substitute an 8oz package of cream cheese, 1/4 c sour cream and two tbs whipping cream whipped together until fluffy.
    **to make sweetened whipped cream:
    1 3/4c (6oz) heavy whipping cream, 1 tbs powdered sugar and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (or hazelnut or almond extract is also good for a change) whipped together on high speed until peaks form.

I really like to use the real mascarpone cheese and make my own whipped cream, but I have heard that you can sustitute the cream cheese mix and cool whip for the top and it still be really good.

Kinda complicated..like a custard lasagna, but OMG it is SO freaking good.
  3. kellybean

kellybean New Member

THANK YOU ARTEMISS - YOU RAWK!!

I'm making it tomorrow!!!!
  4. artemiss

artemiss New Member

I hope you like it..have a piece for me, too while you're at it, LOL [​IMG]